Few Keying Questions

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Ok, so here’s the dilema. I’m doing a video produced entirely in a chroma environment, with there only being one live-action character. The key color is a light brown/pink mix. Before someone says that that will clash with human tones, the subject isn’t organic, but mechanical.

Now, I have a couple problems for this video. One, I need to find a way to make shadows of this character in the CG environment. Preliminary tests make a very unrealistic no shadow appearance, so I was wondering if there was any other way.

Also, I have a problem with making camera movements match the movement of CG sets. There always seems to be an off somewhere, and smooth keystoning doesn’t make it match up perfectly. Is there any way to create a more perfect realistic match for this.

If it has any help, I’m working in Final Cut Pro and have two camera’s available (one 8mm Hitachi, and one record to DVD Sony Camcorder).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Inactive

I use Serious Magic’s Ultra 2 (it’s now sold by Adobe) and it can create shadows, rather realisticly. I’m not sure if there are other programs that do the same thing

Inactive

Although that sounds like a good way to do it, I’ve already maxed out my budget for this film. I need a free way to get this done.

I will keep Ultra in mind on my to-buy list for the future though.

Participant

Shadows in FCP? Duplicate the layer with the key, add a “colorcorrector”filter, turn down brights, mids, and darks all the way. Also turn down the saturation all the way. make y the layer say 50%transparent, and use the distort tool to lay it on the ground. Add a blur filter. As long as the BGisn’tto complicated, that should work.

Iassumeyou are using thetrackerfrom Motion? It will made adifferenceweather you aretrackinga close object or a far off object. Try and track a pointclosestto where your keyed mechanical thing will end upbeingin thescene. And by closest I mean depth wise, not up, down, left or right.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap