FCS Vs. CS5?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello everybody.

I’m on the market to upgrade my computer and production software. Right now I’m running Final Cut Express on a macbook from 2006. So I was wondering which production suite would be better to invest in. One big thing that matters to me is wether or not After Effects is better then Motion, mainly for keying and creating effects. I was also wondering if it is worth buying a much more expensive Apple rig with FCS or CS5 on it, or go for a cheaper Windows based pc with CS5 exclusively for video production. Performance and lack of crashes is important too.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Cirocomic

Participant

“…After Effects is better then Motion”

Motion is actually pretty good at keying, but After Effects is probably the better compositing program…it’s been around longer. I think if you shoot a good codec and light the green screen and subject well, both will achieve some good results.

As for effects…what kind of effect? Visual effects – the kind that the average viewer doesn’t even realize is an effect made in post production? After Effects probably wins there too. For motion graphics, they’re both pretty solid.

“I was also wondering if it is worth buying a much more expensive Apple rig with FCS or CS5 on it”

I think it’s worth buying a Mac. I got my Mac Pro in Sept 2007 and it runs as well as the day I bought it. My computer has never crashed, and my software rarely crashes. Of course, all this has to do with a little computer maintenance and proper media management. I’m sure there are PC users out there who don’t experience crashing either.

“My computer has never crashed, and my software rarely crashes. Of
      course, all this has to do with a little computer maintenance and proper
      media management. I’m sure there are PC users out there who don’t
      experience crashing either.”

Sound advice indeed. Mac’s and PC’s except for a small group of manufacturers use nearly all the same components these days. The only real diffs between them are the OS code and the fact that it is legal to build your own PC and highly frowned upon (if not illegal) to build your own Mac. The same advantage you get from buying a mac is the same one you get from buying from the reputable pre-built PC companies like HP (not Compaq), Dell, IBM, Toshiba and a number of others in that you get comprehensive support (provided you pay for it) in addition to brand name quality.

Now as to your question of an ‘apple rig with FCS or CS5 on it’ I would have to say you’d come out cheaper with the all apple set up (God what am I saying?) Though I feel Adobe products are far more comprehensive and superior in many aspects (however apple color is to be contended with in addition to final cut), CS5 will be much more expensive.

To take advantage of the many innovations particularly the GPU supported rendering, you’ll need a rig with some real horsepower. Right now there are only a small number of GPU’s supported for the Mac and there is only one relatively inexpensive one (around $800+) the rest start tippin’ the ‘scales’ at $2k. That and you’ll need a minimum of 8GB of RAM (faster the better) or more (most machines in the reviews I’ve read had 16GB of RAM.) Beyond the 8GB mark, RAM really gets expensive and you will need a machine with a motherboard capable of handling larger amounts of RAM to get the full bang out of Premiere and AFX’s new features.

Now, if you were building your own PC you could work your way through that with only a small amount of ‘hemmoraging’ from your wallet. Since you’re talking about buying a Mac with similar capabilities, you’re going to spend a lot of money just for the basic system that you could do your own upgrades with. Fuggeddabout how much you’d have to hork up if you let apple make the thing entirely. Yet, if you have the work coming in that will justify the cost or if you’re one of those hideously lucky ‘trustfund babies’ and can throw fistfuls of cash at it, knock yourself out.

Funny thing is, you’re going to end up buying Adobe products anyway. Few in this industry don’t have a copy of at least Photoshop on their systems.

I built my own PC and I love it. I bought CS4 and will upgrade to CS5. I’m still learning it, but I did it this way because I already knew Windows and I wanted to learn Adobe’s products, not a new OS.

I think the tie breaker is probably what OS you’re familiar with. I made my choice and still would if I had to do it over again.

Participant

“One big thing that matters to me is wether or not After Effects is better then Motion”

I would say that After Effects is more flexible than Motion in that it is intended to perform more tasks and accomplish a wider variety of goals. It’s kind of like a swiss army knife or a leatherman, it can be kind of annoying if all you need it for is to screw in some screws, but its your all purpose tool, you keep it around when you can’t tell what is coming down the pipe. Motion is a bit more specific, it’s considerably younger and less versatile, but that doesn’t make it worse.

However, I think one of the major areas though where After Effects really trumps Motion is in it’s third party developers. AE has been around along time so there are a lot more plug-ins and add-ons available for it. That and the integration with Photoshop and Illustrator (provided you use those programs) really give it an advantage in Motion Graphics creation.

“It’s kind of like a swiss army knife or a leatherman….”

Yeah, AFX is definitely like that. Motion has it’s thing but with its own built-in tools and the hordes of 3rd party plug-ins the only other programs that can be considered ‘superior’ to it are NUKE and the AutoDesk family of Mographics/VFX/Compositing software. Everything else is barely in the stadium with AFX, let alone in the game.

Inactive

My 2008 MacBook Pro has 4GB of memory (Intel Core 2 Duo) and I edit FCP with no problems.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap