FCP/Motion the same as After Effects?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

So I have a fairly newbie type question (considering my experience in the field is extremely limited, I fit right into that category). I was watching a tutorial about adding muzzle flash to a gun shot. The editor was using Adobe After Effects. Although I am a designer and understand Adobe products fairly well, my video editing experience (remember, limited) is mostly in Final Cut (and some iMovie HD, but anyway). Can I simply use the multi-track system in Final Cut to do the same image editing as done in After Effects? I wish I could find the tutorial and paste the URL in here, but of course it’s avoiding me right now. The editor basically added the muzzle flash, did some simple color correction and saturation work. I might even be looking for more clarification regarding the differences & similarities between Adobe and FCP….

Participant

Theoretically you could probably do it in FCP. I know in Motion you can use muzzle flashes and make them 3D and rotate at the click of a mouse. That might be handy when you want to use the same muzzle flash as a previous clip, but you are now at a different angle.

naw mean?

Participant

particle illusion will take care of this in a flash for you (pun intended)

You will find just drawing up a quick flash in photoshop and then poppong it in for a frame will get ya real close. It’s cheezy but it’s quick.

Participant

Adobe After Effects is not an image editor it is a motion graphics application with compositing features. It is industry standard in Television production for creating on air graphics. It is also used in some film workflows though is less common there due ot the proliferation of turnkey non-software systems like Flame.

Motion is Apple’s motion graphics application sold as a part of FCStudio. It is a lot younger than after effects and while the latest version is pretty slick it lack much of the rich feature set and extensibility of After Effects. Basically, AfterEffects is the program the engineers who work on Motion are chasing.

To be completely honest though, when trying to do real serious compositing in my opinion neither Motion nor After Effects is the best choice. Both of these applications while they have compositing features tend to focus on the motion graphics side of things. A full featured compositing app will usually be superior to both of them. Something like Combustion or Shake will usually offer a more feature rich set of compositing tools. But to be honest you probably don’t need anything that high end.

Question: Is FCP when combined with Motion as powerful/useful as AfterEffects?

Answer: No way. FCP is a great editing application and Motion is a pretty cool program for motion graphics. But the motion graphics/compositing aspects of the two really don’t add up to what can be done in After Effects alone. AE is industry standard in Motion graphics because of it’s flexibility and it’s feature set.

Now that being said can you use a combination of FCP/Motion to achieve the effect that was initially described in the post. Yes, definately if you are using the current versions of the applications.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap