FCP6 minimal install – what to leave out?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing FCP6 minimal install – what to leave out?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

OK, apologies for noobness: I’m about to install FCP Studio2 (which includes FCP6, Motion3, Soundtrack pro2, Colr, Compressor3, DVD StudioPro4) on a MacBookPro, purely so I can edit short 30 second silent clips from my Panasonic GH13 (40MBs .mts files): I DO NOT wish to use any fancy effects to bloat up the machine, I only wish to be able to grade the colour a bit, then output small clips in ProRes to upload to a video clip site:

The whole point of using FCP6 is to retain as much HIGH QUALITY as poss, but I’m worried about loading tons of unneccessary bloatware onto the machine – so can some kind soul confirm how little I can install please?

Or does the wicked install app insist on including the whole shebang?

Advice please!

many thanks, PM

Participant

the dialog box for the install will bring you to a step that allows you to disable what will be installed when you install.

Installing all the programs only takes up about 2GB I think. But uncheck the boxes for Soundtrack Pro Audio Content, Motion Content, DVD Studio Pro Content. It should really be pretty self explanatory as you go through the install

Participant

OK, thanks for that. I was concerned that perhaps they were all interdependant, and by cutting some out of the initial install it might not function correctly.

I intend to keep all my video clip files on a separate (firewire) hard drive – could I ask if you’d advise me to install the (selected) programmes actually on the MacBookPro, or will it still run OK if I install them all on the external hard drive… or will it work at all if I do that?

I wanted to be able to plug the hard drive into a couple of different machines in different places for editing, but not sure if FCP has to ‘reside’ actually physically on the MacBook?prob a daft question, but noobness wonders about these things….

thanks for your time

Participant

“could I ask if you’d advise me to install the (selected) programmes actually on the MacBookPro, or will it still run OK if I install them all on the external hard drive… or will it work at all if I do that?”

It has to be installed on a drive that has the OS. So you could create a bootable drive using a FW drive, Disc Utility, and your original OS disks. Once you create a bootable drive, you can take it to any Mac and boot from it.

Participant

OK many thanks

Of course it sounds really simple and easy NOW, but I’ve worked on PCs for around 10 years and can do many tricks with ’em, it’s these ‘ere Apple macs that confuse the heck out of me

Thank you again for taking the time…. now where’s that machine, i feel an installation evening coming on….

all the best

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap