FCP – Moving Mattes?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey there. I’m playing around with mattes and wanted to know if I can add motion to a matte. I have a close up of a character’s eyes moving from left to right. I want to put a matte (or mask?) over one eye as it moves across the screen. Can this be done? How? (this is in FCP)

Inactive

*EDIT*

Behind the matte, I’m adding a moving clips to show what the character is looking at.

Participant

It’s best to do make the matte/mask in Motion and do the motion tracking effect

Inactive

aww…but I don’t know how to use motion. Isn’t there someway to pull it off just in FCP?

Participant

Unfortunately, FCP does not have its own motion tracking capabilities…You will have to get third party plugins like Lyric Plugins or Boris Fx to perform this function within FCP.

http://www.lyric.com/fcp-plugins/tracking.htm

http://www.borisfx.com/fx/

If you have Motion or After Effects you might as well use those since the concept of motion tracking is similar no matter what program you use.

If youinsist on usingFCP without the assistance of a motion tracker, another option would be to keyframe the position of your matte 30 times per second…not recommended.

Participant

If you don’t know how to use Motion, now is a good time to learn. There are some tutorials atwww.apple.com/finalcutstudio/tutorials that will help you get started and learn the interface. After that, reading the manual, which I know isn’t the most exciting thing, well help you a lot as well. Motion isn’t hard. It’s just as intuitive as FCP

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap