FCP Capture question – automatic subclips

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing FCP Capture question – automatic subclips

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Okay, I usually use Premiere Pro for capturing on my own computer, but I’m using Final Cut at school. In PP, while capturing there is the option to make separate clips whenever there is a cut in the timecode, at least I think that’s how it works. I just know that when I stop the tape, it knows that I did and it makes a new file for the new clip.

In FCP, I looked in the manual and found out how to do it, supposedly. I went into preferences and made sure that it said to create a new clip at a timecode break. But it doesn’t do it. Is there something that I’m missing? I filmed a wedding and did some interviews with different folks, and so i was starting and stopping the cam alot. When I goto capture from that tape, it captures one long clip with no breaks in it. I’m not sure what I need to do. I just don’t want to have to go into the long file and try to break them up manually, that would take way too long. But, if I end up having to do that, is there a somewhat quick way of making new clips referencing the big clip instead of copying small chunks of the actual video file and thus using up twice the space. I’m not sure exactly how it all works, so any help would be nice, thanks.

Lee

Participant

you can easily chop up the big file without using more space. just open that file in FCP. as you’re watching, set the in and out point for the clip you want. then click and drag off the monitor into your file list box and it’ll create a virtual clip. using the “i” and “o” buttons for in and out you’ll get pretty quick at doing that. i had been doing it that way for a long time before i got premiere pro and had the scene detect option.

as far as the option that isn’t…perhaps you’re not using the version the manual is for? i dunno.

Participant

Thanks for the tip. I guess I didn’t really want to watch it all straight thru in order to find out where to make the cuts, but I’m gonna have to do it eventually.

Inactive

Do a “Capture Now” and I think you’ll find that all the “takes” in your video footage will end up as separately numbered subclips. Works for me.

Participant

Yeah, I’ve tried that, but it doesn’t work. It just makes one long clip without any cuts. I’ve got the option selected in the preferences that is supposed to make subclips, but it won’t work. Silly Final Cut Pro.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap