FCE 4 vs Pinnacle Studio 12

Jeff4y's picture

I'm thinking of moving from Studio 12 (on a PC) to FCE4 (on an iMac). Would you consider this an upgrade or a lateral move?

pseudosafari's picture
Plus Member

In my opinion (just my opinion) it's a lateral move. You'd be better off stepping up to Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas Pro, or the Mac equivalent if you're going the Mac route. I worked with Studio for years, since version 8 or so. When I finally got up the nerve to change, I went with Adobe's package because of all they offer (you can use Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc, together easily). I also stayed PC because I have more experience on them and didn't want to learn a new OS even after working with the Mac for a test run. This is just my opinoin. Others might have ideas about what FCE does that Studio doesn't, like particular features, but the price range is still pretty much the same. If you want to move up you have to move up the next price range. The bright side is that the next "price" range is pretty much the tops!

Jeff4y's picture

Thanks for the comment.

JohnnyGP's picture

wbmp, excellent response and very helpful to me as well. I have used nearly every PC editing program to various degrees andStudio 12 as met my expectations best for the reason you gave,"If you are expecting the same ease of use in FCE, Premiere, Vegas, or Liquid as you have experienced with Avid/Pinnacle Studio 12 (i.e. templates, overlays, etc.), your expectation would be too high. All have some templates to get you started, but you need to know how to perform key-framing and other editing basics." Studio 12 makes projects simple, fast,and easy. Once I am prepared to create my own key framing and my own templates, I would move to a more sophisticated program such as Premiere or FCE should I ever move to a Mac.

Jeff4y, it would be nice to hear your thoughts if you do make the move.

On a related topic, I recently started playing with ProShow Producer and so far have been impressed. It might over take my useage of Studio 12. Does anyone else have any thoughts on ProShow Producer?

JohnnyGP's picture

Thank you againWBMP. Cooincidentally, I was playing with ProShow Producer last night and really got into the more advanced features. I do notice there are less transition effects than Studio but I only used them when it was for fun, rather than serious shows. I heard Studio had stability problems but since 11, I have not experienced any. It has crashed but less than a handful of times in the past several years. Save, Save, and then save.

I would like to hear from others if they feel Premeire Pro or Sony Vegas as "that" much better IF the user is at the enthusiast level and looking for easy usage of advanced features.