FBI warning…Stock footage?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Question: Where do you get the FBI duplication warning that come in the start of movies? I know this is considered stock footage but is it free or do you have to pay to use it each time on every production? Where can you get different flavors of this kind of warning?

Participant

I cut the tag off a mattress once and the FBI didn’t do nothin’….

Participant

I still need to know where to get it free or puchase the stock warning?

The one posted is for homeuse only and does not help me.

Please, can someone help me?

When I find out from Derek how to do it I will place one I made and use here, and if you like it I will send you a copy via e-mail attachment. What Derek shared with you is a link to a place where you can obtain the sample he attached, and there is another WARNING graphic there as well. If I am NOT mistaken these graphics ARE free and there would be no need to “purchase the stock warning” and I am NOT clear on how the one posted is “for home use only” and of no help. It is what it is and there are a number of ways and languages that it can be applied, but for all purposes – practical, personal, home or commercial – that’s pretty much along the lines of what they all say so far as I can tell.

I don’t think it’s a stock piece–each distributor probably makes its own. There’s another sample on the sonnyboo site that says Warning and has some language under it. You can easily make your own like that in your NLE I would think or even get fancy with logos, etc., in photoshop (that is, if the sonnyboo one doesn’t float your boat). Or you can google “FBI Warning” and look under Images–you’ll find dozens of them, and with a little research you’ll find some that are free to use. Make sure, though (it would be ironic if you got in trouble for using a pirated graphic of that warning).

“Where do you get the FBI duplication warning that come in the start of
      movies?”

Success,

There was a time when you needed expressed permission to utilize the FBI logo and warning. Apparently in 2004 the FBI in the effort to combat media piracy gave blanket permission to the film and music industry to use their logo and the standard warning at the beginning of films and on CD’s.

Now having said that, always trying to fall closest to the side of caution as possible I interpret that as ‘companies’ have the right to use it. I’m sure their original intention was for the major outfits as they take the brunt of piracy losses.

However, in the spirit of that it would be highly probable that an ‘established production company’ (i.e. a corporate partnership or entity like an LLP, LLC or INC) would also be able to utilize that logo and warning for their home video and internet video media product offered for sale. As always, it doesn’t hurt to ping an Entertainment Lawyer for the fine details.

Next, there are sites that offer the logos for sale… save your money! It is all too easy to do a screencap of the warning (including the interpol one) and clean it up in Phoshop. How much did it cost you? Zip.

If you want to do some fact checking here’s a couple of articles about this:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/4005/fbi_warning_labels_to_appear_on_cds_dvds_/

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17701593

Participant

I once had a client who actually wanted me to pirate the FBI warning off a DVD he brought in.

lol

sometimes it’s best to just laugh like ya think they are kiddin’ as ya open photoshop.

Participant

Yup, pretty much go to SONNYBOO.COM and use one of the 2-3 FBI warnings there on my site.

Participant

Thank everyone, but, can someone still let me know where I can get a FREE stock copy of the warning? Sonnyboo.com is not what I have in mind to use, but, thanks anyway.

Again, can someone from videomaker help with this questions?

Success,

You were told you could either get one free at Sonyboo (I just went there and their there) or just do a screen capture from a DVD (not exactly legal) or just make one in photoshop or a similar graphics editor.

I created and use this one when it is needed for a particular production. Use it if it works for you. I can e-mail you a 740×535 hi res jpg if you wish. Or .tif or .png…

FBI Warning

Participant

About five years ago I bought a collection of royalty free stock images that had about 20 variations of the FBI warning. I have been trying to contact the company but it seems they’re no longer in business. I have sent an email to the domain admin contact (phone is out of service) so that may pan out – I’ll let y’all know.

Participant

Just found this page on the FBI website:

http://www.fbi.gov/ipr/

EDIT:

OK – Took the approved text from the above web page and put it into a couple of graphics with alpha channel (so you can put them over the background of your choice).

SD: http://birdcat.com/7squared/FBIWarning.png

HD: http://birdcat.com/7squared/FBIWarningHD.png

I hereby place these two specific images into the public domain – Please feel free to use without permission, notification, credit, whatever…

Not everyone is all that frightened by an FBI warning on their video. This might work under some circumstances.

Stop Now!

Not Beach Blanket Bingo!!!!! Add in a mix of ‘Achey Breakey Heart’, ‘Livin’ La Vida Loca’ and anything by Britney Spears and you’ll have something that will get you in front of a UN Tribunal for ‘Crimes Against Humanity!’

“OH THE HUMANITY!!”

Participant

>>>Sonnyboo.com is not what I have in mind to use, but, thanks anyway.

WOW, not sure what I did wrong, but I’m sorry.

I have updated the site and the images and there is now a 1920×1080 FBI warning for film and video, as well as many other images for download.

http://www.sonnyboo.com/downloads/images.htm

Participant

Earl, I like the last warning you posted!

For what it’s worth, I came across this some time ago. Sadly there is a lot of truth to it.

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/piratedvd.jpg

I personally choose not to add these screens to any of my videos, weddings at least. I just feel it just makes it look tacky. I suppose there could be a place for them in some discs,butin my opinionpeople know what is right and wrong, and flashing a warning to them 1000’s of times will not change the minds of the willing.

Participant

first of all I hate being treated like a criminal.

Think about it… the only people being bombarded by those anti piracy notices and videos are the law abiding citizens who PAID for the damn videos in the first place…. all the pirated ones have that crap edited out.

I started ripping all my videos for playing on my apple tv because my boy damages the discs and I feel cheated by being forced to buy replacement copies of discs that are too fragile to stand up to normal use…. The movies I bought for my seventeen yr old daughter (when she was little) on vhs tapes are in better shape than the dvd I bought for my six year old last month.

If it’s got a bunch of kung-foo fighting secret agent hamsters in the movie, the disc should stand up to being loaded by a six year old. Period.

F’em.

I cut the mattress tag of my matresses to while I was at it.

Whatcha gonna do about it FBI?

Prosecute me?

Participant

D0n
      THat is exactly what the link I posted in my last comment was all about. A nice flow chart of what you get when you pirate, and what you get if you pay retail.

Participant

DOn – The FBI doesn’t come after you for cutting off the tags – That would be the Federal Tag Commission – I think they’re under Homeland Security now πŸ˜‰

Actually, if you will read a bit further, the tags are totally and legitimately removable by the consumer. The warnings are for prior to sale and use. We don’t have to worry about being arrested for tag removal and that stipulation in the Homeland Security’s Federal Tag Commission book “Methods and Rules for Asinine Charges and Fees” has been removed. πŸ˜‰

TheDVshowTheDVshow
      Participant

FYI: any warning that includes the letters FBI or use of their official seal is a federal offense – you could be prosecuted under Federal Criminal law.

Only members of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA), the Business Software Alliance (BSA) and the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) are authorized to use FBI property, subject to each member entering into a formal Uniform Authorization Agreement.

I would pull that stuff off your site Sonnyboo or at least remove the seal and FBI…Videomaker, you should check into these things before announcing usage.

Participant

The FBI has these guidelines: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber/ipr/anti-piracy

You cannot (as of right now) use the graphic unless licensed but the link has the accepted verbal warning (used in my graphics above):

“Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to five years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.”

Participant

Federal Bureau of Intimidation.

F‘n Bunch of Idiots.

Ah who am I kidding… it just a couple stupid laws, they don’t make the laws….. just doin thier jobs..

lol!

Participant

Now, for the editorial….

To the OP – You don’t state why you need the FBI warning, but if you think it makes your work more professional or it protects your work, you are fooling only yourself. At best, you look ridiculous imitating the joke put on screen by the Hollywood video producers, and at worst, you will piss off your viewers who rightly resent being called criminals before the fact.

Seriously – what is *your* reaction when you see the FBI warning?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap