Extreme Z axis on After Effects?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey guys. So, the other day i was making a quick video for my sister (REALLY QUICK! I made it in 40 minutes or so…) on After Effects, and i was working in 3D. Well, the values for my X,Y, and Z axis were huge, about 7 thousand and something… So my question is if those values normal or am i controlling the camera in a wrong way? The way i do it is just to create a Null Object, add the “Separate XYZ” effect to it (So i can control each one individually), and i parent the camera to it. but after some time, working with those inmense numbers get really confusing and frustrating!

So, any tips on how i should control the camera to get smaller values?

Btw, if yall need to see how “far” the camera was moving, here is the video. The language is in portuguese, so i am sorry if yall dont understand it… =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDA8whjhjY

Inactive

That is pretty cool. How long have you been working with After Effects?

Shippo,

Contact Andrew Kramer at: http://www.videocopilot.net. If anyone can answer your question he can.

Inactive

EventVideoguy, i am glad you liked it. i have been watching sometutorialson videocopilot.net for a few weeks now, but i am really dont know how to really use AF by myself. I kinda got how to do the 3D movements that i used on the video a day before i actually made the video. That’s why it is not really “professional” (Oh, the fact that i am a 14 years old and and my school’s computer that has AF is crappy also helps =D) LOL

Composite1, i sure will sent him an email. I just wanted to see if anyone here knew, and if i got ananswer, someone who had the same question i have could also been helped.

Thanksguys!

Shippo,

Odds are very few if any folks in these forums have done an AFX project on the scale you’re working on. I’ve worked with AFX for a few years now and never pulled down numbers like you’re talking about. However, Andy does that kind of stuff everyday. Info’s where you find it and you’ll find a lot of VM forum participants who if they can’t answer your question directly, will point you to someone who can.

When you get an answer, feel free to update this post. I wouldn’t mind knowing the answer myself.

Participant

First of all, there are many ways to control camera movement within AE and all are going to be frustrating especially fornewer users…it’s just giong to take time and practice….no way around that.

Usingboth the null object and XYZ Seperate plug-in together are supposed to make it a little easier tokeyframe the camera movement, however when using the XYZ Seperate you are now basically limited by having to control the movement by either changing the coordinates manually or by sliding the X,Y, and Z axis within the effects control panel, which as you found out can be a littletedious when working with large coordinates…

I generally like to just use the null object without the XYZ Seperat plug-in allowing me to keyframe the movement by actually moving the null object within the composition itself instead of using the effects control panel, thus illiminating the need to actually know what my coordinates are since i’m just using a visual reference…you just have to be careful because now the X,Y, and Z coordinates aren’t seperated and any new keyframes or changes placed between exsisting keyframes can cause many problems and screw up the movement…

As you can see, both methods have their advantages and disadvantages….it’s basically a trade-off and getting used to your preferred method….

You can also try creative cow tutorials to help you understand camera controls and other methods to achieve the movement you desire.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Shippocaio

I was wondering how have you done that awesome animation so fast. I import a few pictures to After Effects and make a 3D animation, but I didn’t knew that by parenting the camera to the null object the camera is much easier to control. I did my animation moving the camera “Point of Interest” and “Position” and my God it was awful. Why didn’t parenting the camera to the null ever cross my mind? I now laugh at myself, but well this happen a lot when learning.Thanks for sharing how you did it.

I have seen huge X,Y, and Z values when I import a 3D model from Google SketchUp (it happen with some models. Here its a post I did about this: http://videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/3d-models-for-your-movies-using-google-sketchup). I haven’t figure out how to make the values less without the 3D model disappearing from the canvas.

Participant

In answer to the initial question in this post. Yes very high positional coordinates are normal when working in AE’s 3D space.

Inactive

Corecee, but if i use the null’s object to keyframe, the animation gets all messed up. Like, if i make 3 keyframes, the 2nd keyframe position (not in the timeline, in the actual animation) change. I have no idea why. Like, if I make an animation FORWARD, RIGHT, and FORWARD, the camera will only move in a diagnal line instaead of moving 3 times.

Is there any way around it?

I am sorry for not explaining this very well..its kinda hard to describe it.

Caio,

Did you ever contact Andrew Kramer?

Inactive

Actually, i even forgot i was going to do that. lol I am going to do it now.

Caio,

‘Short attention span syndrome’ is a bad affliction for an editor! “Hey where’s scenes 15 – 30?!!!” “Actually, I even forgot I was going to do that. I am going to do it now….”

Inactive

do what? lmao

“do what?”

Six months ago I suggested you get in touch with AFX guru Andrew Kramer. You forgot. Imagine sitting in your high-end editing bay with a Director and an Executive Producer and while watching your latest cut of a feature they’re paying you a ton of cash to edit notice 15 whole scenes are missing and you say, “Actually, I even forgot I was going to do that. I am going to do it now.” That’s ‘short attention span syndrome’ a disease known to be ‘fatal’ to one’s career in this biz.

Inactive

OOOhhhohohohoo! BURN!

Composite, i was kidding… lol… Man, i just got burnt by a proffessional video producer..I don’t know if i should be humiliated or proud.. xD

Anyways, the almighty Kramer said it was pretty normal, but it would be better if i did NOT use the separate XYZ in the null. Just parent the camera to the null and move the null around.

And btw, i will still find a way to burn you back! xD lol kidding

Caio,

No ‘burns’ intended young Jedi. I was hoping you were sharp enough to have caught it the first time. Besides, I hate having to explain a joke…. Please, I’ve been torn to bloody slush by the pros I used to work with on a regular basis when I first started out. By now I’ve got a ‘healing factor’ that would make Wolverine look like a pansy. If I do or say something that warrants ‘a burnin” feel free to open the valves all the way. Just don’t use the radioactive stuff… it’s bad for the environment.

Inactive

Composite1, i know you were kidding xD so was i… I dont take things seriously πŸ™‚

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video β€” 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap