Extracting DVD video problems

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, everyone πŸ˜€ . New to this forum. I could really use some help.

I apologize for this being long-winded but, I’ve been working on this for days, lol.

I’m creating a DVD presentation for my family with old 8mm reel video, 8mm cam video, VHS and DV video and a large assortment of still pics. All is going well, except…. A cousin of mine sent me a DVD with old reel-to-reel film of the family I’m trying to extract the video to use in my presentation.

For the record, I have no idea what format he created the DVD in, what software he used or what type of DVD media it is (+R, -R, etc.). I can view the DVD just fine with my computer’s DVD drive using InterVideo. If I try using Winows Media Player or Nero Show Time, I can view the video but no audio. Also, it will not play on my console DVD player attached to my TV or via a Playstation 2.

The audio isn’t really an issue since it’s just some music my cousin added to the video. I’ll be adding my own background music.

When using TMPGEnc, and VirtualDub-MPEG2 to extract from the VOBs, both squash the video so that the picture is taller than it is wide. Have tried changing the settings and can get the aspect ratio correct but it “stretches” the pixels so that the result is blurry.

#1 DVD Ripper extracts the video just fine… or seemingly so, into an M2V file. However, Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 (my editor of choice) cannot handle that… so… used TMPGEnc to Multiplex it into an MPG. Looks OK thru Windows Media Player.

However, after I import the MPG into Premiere Pro, cut it into clips and then export the video, the resulting AVI has green-blue splotches on it where the video is exceptionally bright (sun reflections, etc.). Very annoying. Have tried Premiere’s Color Replacer but, can’t get rid of all of it. I suspect Premeire’s default codec is doing it but, don’t know.

Any ideas out there? I could scrap this particular part of the presentation but I really don’t want to. Some very precious video moments in there. I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you.

Participant

I would guess that it was done on a Mac using iVideo and you don’t have the Quicktime codec loaded on your PC. Download the free version of QT and you should be able to get the audio, and Tmpgenc might fix your video problem.

Let us know your results.

Steve

Participant

Thanks for the response, Steve!

But, no… I’m using a PC. Should’ve mentioned that in my first post.

Dell Dimension 4100
      Pentium III – 930 MHz (yes, I know, a little weak for video editing)
      384 MB memory
      Visiontek Xtasy Radeon 9550 128 MB graphics card
      Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Hope this helps

Participant

Orion Wrote:

Thanks for the response, Steve!

But, no… I’m using a PC. Should’ve mentioned that in my first post.

You said that you don’t know what was used to creat the DVD. The symptoms you describe indicate that you don’t have the correct codec on your system. The squished look and the wrong colors tell me to suspect that the DVD was created on a Mac using iMovie.

Steve

Participant

Oh, sorry, misunderstood… :-// .. thanks again, will check that out.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap