External TVs and cabling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have an XL2 and I need to connect my 7-inch LCD which I use all the time mounted on top of the camera connected to the RCA jacks on the camera. For a special project I need to connect 3 TVs so that people throughout the building can monitor and listen to what I’m taping live.

My questions are what do I use such as splitters, signal boosters, type of wiring, etc.

I tried to find a book to help me but find nothing.

I spoke to a cabling company and they said to use a 5 way splitter and use the three wire composite cable. They said that there should be no signal loss for the 100 foot runs. Any suggestions out there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

What you need/want is a DA (distribution amplifier) and/or audio/video mixer. What I use with my XL1 is a DA with two-in and eight-out on AV, using RCA pin plug cable from the camera to the DA, to the satelite sets. An audio mixer comes in handy to handle the feeds and help reduce the setup’s tendency for feedback. I also have an old workhorse Panasonic MX12 mixer that works for two camera and audio setups, using S-video for the visual signals.

I have an assistant who works the mixer. I use the DA to power the signal for runs longer than 50 feet. I even have used this with two tvs as well as a projector and 6×8 screen located in another part of the facility. If you have the right connections (adapter for your XL2 to canon/XLR) you can also go that route, but I’ve run satelite feeds with RCA without any serious appreciable loss of audio or video – cheaper cables for long runs.

Participant

Wow, thanks Earl

I’m checking into it today. After thinking further, I’m going to try to talk my client into the vidoe only because the music will be playing throughout the facility so why route it through the monitors? I believe there may be a delay in the sound coming out of the monitor with the ambient sound.

I didn’t understand the part about the XLR cable though, wouldnt I need converters etc?

I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks

Frank

I have the miniXLR adaptor unit for my XL1 – it goes from mini to regular for connection to regular XLR inputs, but most of the time I go with the RCA pin plug connections since balanced cable isn’t critical to most of these smaller events. Unless, of course, you are a rock star πŸ™‚

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses β€” 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap