Exporting as WMV or AVI in FCP

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I need to put my videos online for samples but not everyone has Quicktime. FCP only exports to Quicktime compatble formats. Not everyone has quicktime, and these formats only play on Quicktime.

I want it to be as easy for my potential customers as possible. So I’d like to give them the choice of WMV or MOV for online viewing.

I’dlike to do this in as few steps (& $$$$$$’s) as possible.Is there anyway to export to AVI or WMV within FCP or Compressor. If so, I just can’t find it.

Participant

I believe you would have to use a third party application to create those formats like Flip4Mac or another media converter. You can probably find a free one at videohelp.com.

By the way you seem to be neglecting the most common web video format Flash Video. The flash player is the most ubiquitous media player on the web with a market penetration of about 97%.

Participant

Actually I have considered flash, but I have not been able to find piece of software (Windows or Mac) that will help me create SWF files for a reasonable price. I had the old version of Macromedia but the updated version is way to expensive. Help

Thanks

Participant

There are other programs that may do what you are looking for, the one that comes to mind is called SWISH MAX 2.

Participant

quicktime pro does avi

Participant

I think .AVI works as well as .WMV for Windows people. FCP 5 can export .AVI. Try that.

Participant

For windows users .wmv is considerably more flexible than .avi. The problem with avi is that there are so many different codecs that you could use to compress it and you can’t be sure that your users will have the one they need to view it. The better codecs, the ones that give the best compression/picture quality like xvid or divx won’t necessarily be on everyone’s machines.

The other issue has to do with whether you want your viewers to be able to download and play your video or watch it right in a web browser. For browser based display there are really only four options Flash video, Windows Media Video, Quicktime Video, and Real Video. In order of prominance on the web you have Flash Player, Quicktime Player, Windows Media Player, and Real player.

Participant

First let me say that I figured outhow to export as an AVI. I just wasn’t paying attention in the menus.

Why do I want this work around?

Because many people don’t have Quicktime installed on their computers. And if they do, it is an older version. And people don’t like to download things. Unfortunately when a video does not work the first time, people won’t stick around to figure it out, it will just be on to the next site with working video?

Well I found a workaround for my original question. Here is what I finally ended up doing:

1. I render the video to an AVI file in FCP.
      2. Through my network, I transfer the file to my Windoze computer.
      3. In Windows movie maker, I render the video as a WMV. (I can set the file size as well)
      4. Then I place it on my website. Easy as that.

The most time consuming part is the transfer from one computer to the next. Which isn’t really that long. Especially if you have a good Windows computer.

Participant

If you are going to encode as .WMV on a windows machine, couldn’t you just skip the.avi export and bring a Quicktime file over the network to the PC and encode that?

Inactive

Definitely AVI. Higher quality than WMV; and more suitable for further editing, etc.

Jeremy

Inactive

…However, if you are going to put it online, definitely do .WMV or .FLV. I don’t think FCP can export either. So you may have to use a third party tool.

Jeremy

Participant

There is a plugins for FCP that allows it to create Flash video files, unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it at the moment. Remember however that FLV files cannot be directly embedded in a web page. They must be wrapped in a SWF container, so you may want to find a program that does the conversion, and then creates the SWF and controller to display the video file.

Participant

If you are going to encode as .WMV on a windows machine, couldn’t you just skip the.avi export and bring a Quicktime file over the network to the PC and encode that?

Windows Movie maker does not handle quicktime files.

Participant

Flip4Mac is designed to work inside of Final Cut Pro. It’s a QuickTime Plugin that allows you to export to Windows Media from Final Cut. You can download the free Flip4Mac WMV Player and all of the features of the Flip4Mac WMV Studio Pro HD are available in demo mode. So you’ll be able to test it and see that it can export to Windows Media using one or two pass VBR or CBR encoding at standard or high def. In demo mode you’ll be limited to a 30 second export but you’ll be able to tell if it’s the solution you need.

Participant

quicktime will convert to .AVI however I’ve noticed it will f*ck up the first 30 seconds or so of video…

Inactive

FCP cannot directly export video as wmv, it usually export to quicktime movie files

but we can convert FCP exported movie files to wmv, avi, mpg, mkv, flv at http://www.idealshare.net/imovie-fcp/export-convert-final-cut-pro-to-wmv-mkv-avi-vob-mpg.html

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2020

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap