Exporting

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

ok just finished a project that will be on a web site and streamed. question is what format? there’s a ton of options in FCP. I want it to look good in full screen mode and i don’t care much about bandwidth. most of the people that will be viewing it will be on lan or have a T3 or better, everyone else can download it.

Participant

SWF and FLV spring to mind – Also MP4.

Participant

swf isn’t a video format, it is the format for flash movies, which even though they are called movies are either animations or applications.

There are really only three viable formats for streaming video online; Flash Video (.flv), Apple Quicktime (.mov) and Windows Media (.wmv). Each of them requires that the viewer have a different plugin to work, the flash player plugin is the most ubiquitous.

Once you decide on a format, each of them have unique codecs for compressing the video file, most will have the option to use a variation of the h.264 standard.

Quality and size actually will vary based on what codec you choose and the actual footage itself.

Participant

Thereseveral types offormats for online streaming. WMV, RealVideo (.rm), and QuickTimeare probably the most common, as they can be adjusted to a wide range of qualities. Portable MP4 is another option for saving pod-sized files. MP4 AVC uses a higher level encoder but is incompatible with most players.

Participant

I usually use H.264 codec, which is a type of .mov (quicktime).

Inactive

I use and recommend WMV: Profile NTSC 720 by 480 at 1024kbs , This Codec is one of MS professional codecs, If your on a LAN then there wont be problem streaming this.

Participant

NTSC is for TV viewing, not computer screen viewing. The major difference is the pixel aspect ratio. NTSC and PAL both have non-square pixels while computers have square pixels. Therefore, H.264 will be a better choice for computer viewing, not NTSC.

Sorry, Robo. I’m not trying to 1-up you. Just saying…

Inactive

The NTSC is just part of the profile name because the the Letter box is 720x 480 , Plus MS Got rid of there DRM , the newer DVD (Non blue ray)home players players can play back WMV. so this codec is also Ideal for that also with out haveing to change formats for veiwing.

Inactive

Plus if you wnated to Play back from your computer on a CTR TV the option to interlace or progressive is there.

Inactive

H.264 codec streamable , or does it have to be downloaded?or is it progressive downloaded? His question was something that could be streamed.

“ok just finished a project that will be on a web site and streamed”

Progessive download ,such as flash and QT are not streaming.

Inactive

H.264 in MP2TS, SD/NTSC 4:3, 3mbps

Inactive

Web version : H.264 in mp4, 320×240, 30fps

HD Version: H.264 in MP2TS, 1280x1080i 29/97fps, 10mbps ///H.264 in MP2TS, 1920x1080i 29.97fps, 10mbps

Inactive

Windows Media, 720 x 480, 29.97fps, use constrained VBR or CBRfor both video and audio, NTSC SD footage. 4mps max , 1mps min

I was trying to keep it simple.

πŸ™‚

Inactive

the acual file extention for H.264 is H.264, you need QT 7.5.5 to play it Backand and apatch The version 1.1.1 (from apples web site). Or just download VLC.

Participant

Wow. I tap. You’ve been doing your homework Robo. I must admit I don’t really know what you went on about though.

But no, the file extension for H.264 is not “H.264.” I use it all the time, it’s “.mov”. And you don’t need Quicktime 7.5.5, I know earlier versions can play H.264. I’ve sent others who I work with H.264 files and they viewed it on their PCs. So on my Mac and their PCs, it’s consistantly .mov. I dunno what you’re looking at.

gnite.

Participant

Wait…I should clarify.

The file extension for H.264 is .mov when I’m working with Quicktime files. I’m not sure what the file extension would be if used with another player

Inactive

I will bet u your MAC I Looking at the file Extension Now

Inactive

It doesnt matter the player a file is encoded one way. most Likly FCP or your QT encoder acually puts the clip in a simpler MP4, Not H.264, H.264 has 2 versions MP4,MV4,Imov,MOV(the Freebee) MP2TS wich is MPEG2 (Higher compression than standard M2P),I know this because I own and have the rights to use it. I didnt find any of this information on the Web. I own the professional Versions of these Codecs THey are notfree any means.

Im telling you the files that your outputing to are not true H.264 Files you are using the comppersser in QT wich uses H.264 as a compresser but it does not out put the file to H.264 because its really a MPEG2 Codec. , Im not Making this up;MP4 version extension is not .mov its .mp4 , Windows doesnt make up files extension regradless of the player , Windows Media cant even read this file , Inlees you use the MP4 version.

Inactive

By the way Apple Does notown H.264 Is not even owned by apple it belongs to the MPEG group or somtimes called the MPEG consortium .

Apple has bought the rights to develope it and made there own custom version.

And there many bugs with it ; WMV has been proven time agin , and most end user are on a PC not a MAC so it makes sense to put your final format to the Custamer in the format that is more user friendley to them not the editor , regradless of are personal perferance. The Custamer get what he or she wants.

Thats whats nice about Premire I can export AVI or QT. Im not stuck with what Apple wants me to use. I stay away from any propriatyness. Even my captrue system does analog, SD, and HD. Im not stuck eating one apple. When I have a full forest of trees.

Inactive

NTSC or PAL have nothing to do with Square or round Pixals. They tell you how many lines are drawn on screen. Since most computer content is deinterlance or done in progressive They only thing then that matters is the letter BOX size and Frames persecond PAL is 25 NTSC is 30: HD PAL is 50 or 25: HD NTSC is 60 or 30, what standard is it 720x480NTSC or 720x576PAL the I or P after the letter box size will tell you if its Interlace or Proggressive. EXpample 60I , 30p, 30I, or 480i ,720p,1080p:NTSC always plays back at 29.97fps no matter what even if you shoot and encoded it at 24fps , NTSC always plays back at 29.97FPS

And if you use a proffesional thrid party encoder you can change the pixals any ways from round to square.

Your using Apples version of H.264 wich its extension is .MP4 , I just look on the MAC across the hall.

The Mpeg2 version is .H.264

Participant

@Robo,

Flash, Quicktime, Real, and Windows Media are all possible streaming formats. Whether a video is fully streaming or progressive download is a matter of what type of server you have access to.

The latest numbers I see say that the Flash player is the most ubiquitous media player online. WMV will only run on a PC, while Flash video will run on both Mac and PC, quicktime will run on both, and I am unsure of the real player. If you wanted to reach a cross platform audience with WMV you would have to use the Silverlight platform from Microsoft, which is a cross browser, cross platform technology

Initially, the term streaming was used when discussing web technologies that did not have to fully download to the user’s computer before they would display. We used to have to use mpeg-1 files in web pages (you still could if you wanted to) the problem with them is that the files have to fully download to the users computers before they will display at all, so web video was severely limited. Of the four video formats that are streamable any of them can be delivered via progressive download or full streaming. The question is what type of server do you have access to. A standard web server is going to offer you the progressive download option while a streamig server will give you a fully integrated streaming experience.

@Rob,

h.264 is a codec while .mov is a format, they aren’t the same thing. The quicktime file is encoded using the h.264 codec.

Participant

h.264 is a codec while .mov is a format, they aren’t the same thing. The quicktime file is encoded using the h.264 codec.

I know. Did I say something to suggest something else? I’m not trying to sound snappy or rude, I just don’t know where I implied that .mov is a codec.

Participant

rob,

when you said that h.264 codec is a type of .mov file, that suggested to me that there was some confusion on your part as to the difference between format and codec.

Inactive

Sorry for confusion.

I Just got a little hook when a typical MAC user has one answer that Apple is the only way without giving any alternitives.

I think back to the orginal question. If he is onINTRATE he will have to pruchase Flash server. In less he can setup His .Local if on a (Windows Server)to intergrate itself with the Web for that type of service without haveing to spend a bundle in 3rd party security.

But if he is going to stream from a web sight then he can find a remote service to host his video. Either u-tube or many others out there now for free.

Flash is Ideal for www content , But on a Local Intrate .Local (Active Directory) to save time and money I would do it in WMV

Participant

WMV is streamable on an intranet provided you are running a windows server. If you aren’t, it wouldn’t work any better than any other solution. Though technically you can use Windows media player 11 as a streaming server if you try, that probably isn’t the solution he had in mind. If you were already running a Linux server, going with Apache and streaming quicktime video would be more practical.

Real, WMV, Flash, and Quicktime streaming all require there own streaming server. Windows can be streamed without the need for additional tech if you already have a windows server set up and Quicktime can be streamed from the open source Apache streaming server. Real and Flash would be an additional fee if you want to purchase your own server but for most uses merely using a hosted solution (Akamai, vitalStream, etc) is more practical. I do believe that Microsoft has a service that provides up to 10gb(?) of space on their streaming servers for free.

BTW, what is an INTRATE? Did you mean Intranet?

Participant

I Just got a little hook when a typical MAC user has one answer that Apple is the only way without giving any alternitives.

What are you talking about? I wasn’t at all saying that Apple is the only way to go. That idea wasn’t brought up at all.

Inactive

Sorry If Im from Bama , An a Bad typo

Inactive

All I did in my Oringal post was offer a suggested that was different from normal respond, Now Im getting Attacked.

You dont know me or my resume and Idont know you.

I was talking more of a professional angle. Not from a U-tuber video want to be maker.

Inactive

I assumed he was on a LAN when he said T3, or do you not know how bandwith is acually caculated

Participant

Robo,

No one is attacking you, however your responses are becoming a bit defensive.This is a discussion forum, one person asks a question and then others offer opinions often contradictory ones. Your assertion that WMV was the best format for the problem is something that others disagree with. I am not sure how you associate disagreeing with you with being attacked.

>>or do you not know how bandwith is acually caculated<<

What would knowing that a T3 is a kind of connection have to do with understanding how bandwidth is calculated, since I don’t think anyone mentioned that at all. I believe that when the initial posting mentioned T3 he was talking about the type of connection that the people viewing the video would be on. How that translates into an assumption that WMV is the best format for this situation I am still not sure.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing β€” 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap