Export for Movie Theatre

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Just finished our first documentary after 7 years. Basically took me that long to figure out my cameras! We have a local theatre that will project our movie from DVD or computer. They have a Christie LX450 pre-show projector. I don’t know what the main projector is. Our movie is 1hr 40 minutes. It doesn’t have any special effects, just interviews with transitions. I would like to know what is the best export setting for the highest quality DVD 720×480 4:3. My other option is to play the movie off a computer. Any idea about that? I meet with the movie theatre next week to look at their set up but I want to be somewhat “Knowledgable” when I talk with them. Thanks as always. Art

Inactive

WHat editor to you Have?

Is the cinema affect Important to you? 24fps?

Would you want it in Wide screen since being in a theatre?

Whats the max res on there projector?

Participant

Premiere CS4 fromMaster suite. I have never done anything on a large screen. I shot everything 4:3. Will it convert to Wide Screen without problems? I don’t know what the max res on the projector is.I’ll find out.I would like the best quality I can have even tho it’s basically straight interviews with3 point lighting.

Thanks,

Art

Participant

“I shot everything 4:3. Will it convert to Wide Screen without problems?”

If you shot and edited in 4:3, it should be viewed in 4:3.

It’s hard to say what the quality will be like. If you shot on miniDV and plan on screening on a gigantic screen in a theater, it certainly won’t be as good of quality as 35mm film.

Participant

True. I would like the best settings for the best quality I can have. The theatre is very accommodating by offering to show the movie from DVD or computer. It was difficult to find a theatre in our area that had a projector for Mini DV or would even bother with independent producers. Has anyone shown a movie at a theatre directly from a laptop? AVI file? I believe it is VGA out but I worry about the Audio Out on my laptop. I guess the video quality would be better from the computer but more convenient from DVD.

No way mate. Don’t even try vga output or the laptop solution if it hasn’t at least a descent s-video output or the projector hasn’t any vga input. I also think there will be an audio sync issue this way (fifty-fifty). Find out what are the video inputs of the projector and make some tests (?) I think the best troubleproof solution is DVD, although there will be noticeable compression artifacts. And mate, your next doc must be in 16:9 btw (it’s easier to downscale than to upscale).

Cheers

Participant

We went with DVD. The movie theatre has a nice setup with DVD player and projector. We started off with this documentary for television but fortunatly enough it looks fine on the big screen at 4:3. Thanks! -Art

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap