Error when trying to open .veg file

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m new to the forums… so, go easy on me!!… just a guy who loves to play with Vegas, to edit video in my spare time.

I’m running a PC on Vista Premium, 64bit…. got loads of memory, and have been editing videos day in and day out (for the past few years or more). With NO problems.

I didn’t upgrade my PC or my software. I didn’t shut down my machine, I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. In fact, when I’m creating a project in Sony Vegas Pro (I have been using versions; 8, 9, 10, and 11 throughout the years) …. I often save the project as I deem necessary to not lose my work. I often save the file and will increment it’s file name to be sure I don’t lose anything, or want to go back to a specific save. Simple enough, right?!
      [b]So, with that… here’s where I’m STUMPED!!![/b]Currently, I was using Sony Vegas Pro 11. I saved 6 different projects, in the same folder. I went about my business, and came back to open them with the following error, for each file (and their backups!!);[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/johnnyairtime/SONY%20VEGAS/problems/8feebf0e.jpg[/IMG]

I tried what I think to be “everything” to get it repaired. Google searched my eyes off too…. my attempts, were some of the following; Remove and Reload Vegas. Clean the registry in between steps. Try a newer version or even an older version. Run chkdsk on the drive. Run malware, virus and other detectors on the drive and files themselves. Even made new projects, for them to work just fine. HOWEVER, my 6 saves (of that specific project)… all come up with the same error. I even created a new project, and saved over an erroring file… to see if it had something to do with the file naming… and I still had a working (new) project.

I have yet to run my PC in safe mode, and try to open the file… but, I have a feeling it has NOTHING to do with that. I’m starting to reach… and, before I do something detrimental… to my projects, my sanity, or the dog… I thought to ask here first!! πŸ˜‰

Any ideas?? Thoughts?? … I’m all ears!!

Participant

It could be possible that the folder you saved it in is on a bad chunk of disk now, and is corrupt.

Participant

There is a new version of Pro 11 out (64 bit build 595 or 32 bit build 594) – Maybe try installing one of those??

Also, as doublehamm alluded to – have you run a chkdsk? If not, maybe you should.

Participant

I am in agreement with doublehamm, bad sectors in that area of the disc. They do happen and without warning. Do run chkdsk.

Inactive

…. thanks for all the replies, but it seems nobody read my post entirely.

I ran chkdsk on the drive as a chkdsk /f /v /r /x /b (and it ran once I rebooted, so it could mount the boot disk C:) It took about 2hrs to complete, and did not resolve the problem(s).

Participant

Johnny, I am certainly NOT a computer expert but have had some learning forced on me by some similar situations with my computer. I read your post a couple of times to see if anything jumped out at me. One thing about your situation sparked a thought, could you go back in time to a saved time on your computer (there is a term for this but it escapes me now) to fetch these files. Perhaps someone else who is more knowledgeable than I can enter this discussion. Good Luck.

Inactive

VID-E-MAN…. great idea!!! …however a restore point would be from a week prior. The .VEG files were all done in about 18 straight hours (no restores were done on the computer during that timeframe), and all with no backups other then the .VEG.BAK files created by Vegas.

Participant

Johnny, restore point! Thanks for reading my somewhat senile mind. Sorry it won’t help. Another thought, you don’t have an external hard drive hooked to computer that saves for you.

Inactive

The files are actually on… another drive (I’ve got about 3Tb of HD space over 5-6 drives). So, they are not ‘stored’ not on the C drive itself (A HA!!! … I didn’t run chkdsk on THAT drive!!!) … let me run chkdsk again, on the “correct” drive the .veg files are stored on, and I’ll let ya all know

… *tail between my legs*

EDIT: Actually, I’m wrong. I was saving the files to a folder, on my desktop. They ARE on the SAME drive I ran chkdsk. (boy, do I need another cup of coffee).

Inactive

WOOO HOOOO!

… success!

I moved the entire folder, onto another hard drive. All the saves, AND the media. I double clicked on the latest know good saved .VEG and it opened!! Of coarse, with missing media and I had to re-link… but, it’s the least of my worries!

Now, I’m rebuilding and making sure all my media is online. Some of it’s showing up as “offline…” for some reason. Interesting.

Participant

Johhny, I dance around that media offline sometimes, too. Usually when I use a disc of royalty-free music that I have added. I insert the disc into the dvd drive while rendering to get it online. I’m not sure what I need to do to resove this. Glad you had some success retrieving your stuff.

Inactive

Ya know… it was wierd, as I never have too much trouble with offline media. Yet, the files were in my media bin… and, I couldn’t open them in Vegas (couldn’t play them) yet I could outside Vegas as normal, and Vegas still treated them as offline. I had to edit the file (I re-converted it in AVS4YOU) and told Vegas to “replace” the old media file with the newly converted one.

… wha-la, all my edits filled back in (no more offline) and all I had to do was adjust my motion-track for that video track the new file resided in.

Thankfully it was that easy. Sometimes I pity those who have days/weeks into a project and lose it all… this was only about 8-10hrs of work. So it wasn’t too bad if I lost it. It just irk’d me … and challenged me to fix it. So I did! πŸ˜‰

Johnny, something to consider….first, make sure each new project gets its own folder with related project files. Second, after you finish your project, your last “save as…” click the “copy media with project” ….. doing that will copy all files, including your raw footage, veg’s, ect. to one location ofyour chosing, hopefully, to another drive where you then can eithe burn to a cheap Blu ray, or DVD disk, or better yet to a dedicated external hard drive.

Happy editing/rendering!

Inactive

I agree with Bruce on the project setup!  I had issues myself with VEG files that were on an external hard drive.  I had a a big job I was working on and all the footage and VEG files were on the external.  Had the same issue as above on loading…error!  It really made me mad but I finally moved all the footage and files over to my master hard drive and it all worked.  I’m thinking that using an external hard drive is not the best idea.  Unless there are better higher functioning external hard drives on the market.  It seems that somewhere down the line during work on a project that the external loses connection with the computer and poteintially on an auto-save.  Maybe screwing it up!?  Who knows?  Is there any good solid external hard drives that videographers use that never have issues?

Best

Vic

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap