End result grainy DVD.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been using Ulead VideoStudio 10 plus, but whatever I try, the footage downloaded from the digicam looks great, I then edit it in this programme and burn it to DVD disc and there is a complete transformation to a rubbish quality when viewed on a DVD player.
      Any replies would be great as I have just recorded my mates wedding and would be good to have a nice crisp clear end result. The audio is perfect.

Many thanks in advance,

Ste.

Participant

So is your footage from a hard drive/memory card or captured from mini DV tape?

Participant

Perhaps the quality setting for DVD burning is set to low in order to fit lots of time on it. See if you can increase the quality setting.

Participant

Thanks for your replies.
      Moglepro…..The footage is captured on a DV tape in a Canon MV750i DV Camcorder, then downloaded through firewire onto my P.C.

Ryan……Thanks for that I will check the settings.

Cheers guys for your help it’s so frustrating after putting the time and effort in and not being pleased with the end result.

Participant

Grainy footage is often very hard to identify on a computer monitor. If the footage was grainy in the first place, you may not have noticed it on your editing machine. The best advice I can give is to use an external ntsc monitor (a TV) to view the footage as you edit (this can normally be done by connecting a dv camera to the pc and connecting the composite video output to a tv).

Participant

Also, with a program I’ve used in the past, it captured from DV tape as 320×240 instead of high quality DV and it took me forever to realize that I was editing a video with the screen size of a video iPod! Man I was ticked off when I found that out because I did not have backup copies of the film I had captured. Make sure it’s importing in the correct resolution.

Participant

I’ve seen a really simple explanation why DV footage may be OK, but downconverted to MPEG-2 may suck. Why professional movies look good in 5Mbps MPEG-2, while amateur video suck at 10Mbps.

The point was, that the better the picture, the smoother colors, the narrower color and contrast range, the less detail, the less noise, the less shake, etc., then the less bitrate is required to compress it without noticeable artifacts. The proverbial shallow DOF plays its role here too, because scenes with low detail compress well. For bad, noisy, shaky, highly-detailed video with long DOF there may be not enough bitrate to downconvert it to MPEG-2.

Therefore the answer is: shoot better video at the first place. The video may look ok in 25Mbps DV bitrate, but in 9 or 6 Mbps MPEG-2 it falls into macroblocks.

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Participant

Jockey, that’s a really great point. Although I’ve never had issues with Mpeg-2 compression and I don’t think that’s the issue STE is having, those are some really good things to think about when shooting. Being prepared during the shoot will save you time and trouble after.

Participant

Many thanks for your input into my problem, I will try a few things and let you know the outcome.

Much appreciated,
      Cheers,
      Ste.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap