Encore transcoding problem…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Ok, I give up. I’ve tried everything I know, and it still isn’t working. I’m using Adobe Encore 1.5, and I have a large file (30+ gigs) that I am trying to transcode. It just transcodes the video (never gets to the audio) over and over… it never actually does it. Anyone else ever have this problem?
      I made 4 different DVDs with all totally different material on them in the past week, and 2 of those projects did the same thing. I’m stumped.
      Thanks in advance, guys.

-Chris

Inactive

Hummm

Assuming that you have all of the settings correct with failed results, I would try uninstalling and re-installing Encore. Something might be corrupted.

RAM

Inactive

Alright, I’ll give it a shot and keep my fingers crossed. I’ll let you know how it goes.
      Thanks.

Inactive

If the bitrate is set too high for the video, there won’t be anything left for the audio, and it is skipped. The max bitrate for audio and video combined is 9.8MBps. Also, many DVD players do NOT support MPEG 2 audio. Make sure you have either PCM or Dolby audio. Since this is an AVI file that your encoding, make sure the audio is in fact added to the timeline. Selecting the AVI file and clicking the new timeline button will (in all the cases I’ve seen) create a new timeline with only the video in it. Once the timeline is made, drag the AVI file to the audio track. You did not mention if it works properly in Encores preview so I’m throwing out multiple options for you to check.

Inactive

I tried re-installing Encore and it didn’t work… I’ll check the bitrate settings and I know I’m using Dolby audio… it works alright in the preview. This is getting frustrating. I’ll go back and check all my settings and compare them to the settings of projects that worked properly. These two that are giving me a hard time are tieing up most of my hard drive space, and I’ve got a paying projct I’m shooting tomorrow, so I better figure it out fast or get another exteral hard drive…

Thanks for the novel-length answer on this pretty boring subjet, kkmac.

-Chris

Inactive

Another thing to check is if the audio is 48KHz and not 44.1KHz. You could export just the audio from your NLE, import that into Encore, and replace the timeline audio with the new seperate file. Then do a "transcode now" to just the audio file.

You said your drive is close to full, is it getting full when transcoding? I suppose its possible that Encore "never gets to it" because the drive is full.

Inactive

A couple more questions:

Are you trying to transcode everything to a final video DVD format? (VIDEO_TS folder with VOB, IFO and BUPs files.)

Are you transcoding and burning right to a disk or are you trasncoding to a folder on your HD somewhere?

If the later, can you play your project from that folder using some kind of other DVD viewing and playing software?

How big is that [VIDEO_TS] folder in terms of file size?

When you say no sound, are you saying that after you transcode everything and try to play it there is no sound or are you looking for a separate sound file?

Where are you testing your DVD? (Desk-top, PC, PS2, ?)

I believe there is an update for Encore 1.5 too. Was that done?

Lastly, are you doing the EXACT same thing as the previous times when you were successful? That includes burner, speeds, media type and brand.. ect

Solving a problem like this can be tricky especially over a forum. It might help us out here to narrow it down if you could answer the questions above. Im thinking that there must be a wrong setting somewhere and yet you said that you have been successful in the past. As far as hard drive space, Encore should tell you if there isnt enough space or it might just stop or crash too.

RAM

Inactive

Hank,

That’s kind of why I want to find out if he can play from a folder on his HD with some viewing app. If he can, that means that Encore transcoded everything correctly. Then I asked how big the "VIDEO_TS" folder is because if it’s on the big side than I’m thinking like you. He’s trying to stuff 10 pounds of (you know what) in a 5 pound bag.

The thing that is still hitting me in the funny bone is that he said he has video but no audio on the disks when he’s done. Usually by time DVD formatted files hit the disk, they should already be multiplexed together. In other words the audio is merged with the video… UNLESS he’s running 2 audio streams for some reason. I’ve never done that before nor am I up to speed on how that all works.

Got me on this one! This almost has to be either a configuration problem or a capacity issue.

RAM

Participant

I have another surprise from Encore and i think it’s something close to this problem. Usually i have videos about 3h long. The problem apeared about 2 weeks ago. What i used to do before: Editing everything in Premiere HDV footage 1440.1080 Pal 25p. After that i exported the video as MPEG-2 ( not MPEG-2 DVD ) in a regular PAL format ( 720.576 in a 16.9 format 25p ) With a custom bit rate so i can have a final clip about 7.3G in size. That’s because i’m burning everything on an 8G DVD Dual layer. Then i imported everything in Encore added the menus and everything else and burned the DVD’s. Everything was smooth and working perfect. THE PROBLEM NOW: I do the same thing…no change in setings or anything else but…Lateley Encore wants to transcode that MPEG-2 video witch before never happend. And i don’t get it. What just happend..? I tried on CS-5 on my frinds from another studio and it’s doing the same thing. Does anyone knows what happend lateley..? Did they changed anything and we don’t know about it..? By the way….i don’t have that “don’t transcode” option at all anymore. I tried not to export my video and used dynamic link to import the actual timeline and transcode everything in Encore as “he” wishes. But SURPRISE….no matter how high i set the quality and the bit rate….it will compres everything to no more than 4.5G Imagine a 3h video compressed to 4.5G….My cliends would kill me right away. So….hope anyone understands what i’m trying to explain here and hope someone has a solution. And i really need one since i’m late with many projects ,clients are mad and desapointed and i look like a vampire considering that i don’t think i sleped more that 4 days all together in the last 2 weeks tryying to find a solution so i can burn my DVD’s. Thanks everyone.

Participant

Try dynamic linking from Premiere Pro to encore without encoding the files and let Encore transcode the files. When you have massive files, IE. 30+ gigs there will have to be quite a lot of compression to get them to fit on a DVD, even if it is dual layer. Granted, if Encore encodes a file, it will take quite a long time but it usually will provide reasonable results.

Participant

So what do you do if you are trying to link your premiere files to encore. And then when you locate the file and click on it, nothing appears in the side widow. There is a little message at the bottom that says “connecting to dynamic link..” then “connected to dynamic link” but still there are no files to click on. So the “OK” button cannot be pushed?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap