electricity for in the field lighting

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am going to be doing some shooting outdoors away from power plugs and the time of shooting is not at the best time of day. What product delivers the best power source for lighting in this situation. At one time we should be no longer than 3 hours shooting. Thanks.

Inactive

what type of lighting?
    a good generator will get you covered….
    an ac inverter for your car…
    little battery powered ac/dc junpstarter packs may work for flourecents or led lights.

Inactive

I once overcame a similar problem [we were shooting inside a ‘haunted house’ and had to be fast as well!] and we ended up using my $10 DC-powered spotlight and my car ‘jumpstart’ battery unit. The unit had a handle and a cigarette-lighter-style DC jack for my spotlight. I held the spotlight and someone else shot. The main problem we had was too much light, so I found a piece of thin drawing paper (onionskin maybe?) and taped it to the front of the light with spare duct tape from my car (I didn’t have any Gaff on me). Worked well for about 2 hours of on and off shooting.

Note: your best power source for real lighting would be an extension cord or two or three. Remember to check the amperage/wattage of the lights and don’t overload any circuits or extension cords.

Inactive

;0) Wrote:

what type of lighting?
    a good generator will get you covered….
    an ac inverter for your car…
    little battery powered ac/dc junpstarter packs may work for flourecents or led lights.

I’m thinking of useing a 3 lighting kit. I need alot of light. With a generator how do you get around the noise?

Inactive

To quiet the noise I’ve built a partially insulated box to set the generator inside of. I didn’t make it fully enclosed, and I make sure no part touches the generator. I leave one side of the box fully open.

Happy lighting,

andrew @ videomaker

Inactive

might condider buying or renting a Honda….and a long cord.

Inactive

Put it on the far side of a few cars/trucks so they reflect the sound away. Remember, extension cords are your friends (again, check the ratings on everything).

Inactive

Thanks for the help you all. i saw a small generator on Markertek.com. I’m going to check it out and see what kind of trouble we can get into. ; )

Participant

If your not using any high powered lights, you can use power inverters that run off your car.
    I’ve seen some that output 3000 watts, and there’s probably more powerful ones as well.

It would be quiet, cheaper and smaller than a generator, but not the most powerful.

Just another idea.

Inactive

These things are everywhere and cheap too……

• Viewing 9 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap