Effects of cold on camera

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      travis_h
      Participant

Is having your camera out in the cold during the winter bad for it? I live in MN so I might be using the camera in temps below 0, probably not for extended amounts of time tough. Probably only a couple hours at most.

brandon0409
      Participant

While I am not completely sure about your question, I am sure that it is bad to go from cold to warm (warm to cold) quickly. Condensation can form on lenses and internal components.

travis_h
      Participant

thanks, but I am asking if cold temperatures are bad for the camera.

Anonymous
      Inactive

bout as bad for the camera as it would be for you….but wait a minute……you wear clothes……
      there’s an idea!

1) protect your camera from the cold….make or buy something to keep it warm and dry.
      2) seal it in a plastic freezer bag when bringing it in from the cold to prevent condensation (let completely warm up before opening bag).
      3) hotshots chemical handwarmers on the battery and tape compartment will keep the batteries from dying from cold and tape from snapping and becoming brittle.
      4) I prefer to cut the sleeve off an older parka, sew velcro to the cutoff end to seal over ny jaket and hand, and poke the lens out the hand hole, with a uv filter on the lens. attach (tape) a couple hotshots to the camera (battery and tape compartments) and away I go into the snow!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN