Editing software

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been playing with some trial version software, as well as limited edition software that was installed on my computer when I got it. Now it’s getting time to pick the one that works best. What do you all use for video editing? Currently I have access to Windows Movie Maker, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, CyberLink PowerDirector, and a couple more I can’t think of at the moment. What’s your favorite and why?

Participant

I’ve not had the best experience with Cyberlink PowerDirector, in terms of speed and reliability. That was last Fall’s version (the new version might be better), but I still can’t guarantee its reliability despite the glitsy features. Windows Movie Maker is simple and functional. Sony Vegas Movie Studio has a higher degree of valuefor the price… and is cheaper.

Participant

Thanks XTR for the input.

Participant

I use VideoStudio X3. I have used VideoStudio for several years and many versions. X3 is by far the best version. And not so high in price. You can download and run it for FREE for 30 days. It is the full function, nothing is limited on it. And you can save your final work. Just run ALL the updates first. Then are a lot of them. Including the Music updates.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1152796555406

Participant

Tasana and others,

I use the Corel Paint Shop Pro x3, and had the option to bundle it with the videoStudio, but opted not to at that moment. I noticed that VideoStudio is only like $60.00 where Vegas Movie Studio is 95.00 Has anyone used both of these? I’m a beginner, but hope to make this an added service of my current photography business, so I will need something that looks professional.

Participant

I started out years ago with Pinnacle Studio, quickly tried Windows Movie Maker and then just as quickly found Vegas (called Screenblast Movie Studio at the time). I upgraded to the Vegas Pro version after less than a year and have never regretted it.

I have a hard time thinking in the Adobe paradigm, have also for years preferred Paint Shop Pro over Photoshop and loves me my Corel Draw. Vegas was just very intuitive for me and I was using some advanced features within days.

Participant

Sony Vegas Pro 10, I read the reviews and fell in love, read the specs and dropped a brick. I built my computer, it has an AMD Black Kuma Duel Core 7850, 4GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, Nividia 8800GT Video. This system is at the very bottom of the specs for Sony Vegas. Yes it will run and run good, unless you get to 6+tracks of anything and then start laying on effects. The reviews stated it would run but at that point you will get hesitation in the render. If I had the hardware I would use Sony Vegas Pro, and that is the only reason I have not gone over.

That said. VideoStudio X3 allows for up to 13 track overlays. Version X3 they got together with NewBlue Effects. An excellent special effects maker. You get an awesome pack free with the program. You can do amazing things with this.Then the audio. X3 was also the first version to give you AutoMusic mix. Millions of endless possible music mixes that you add or take away. So each mix is your alone. And the AutoMusic Mix will adjust itself to the timeline that you need it to adjust to. Amazing feature.

As I stated you can try a 30 full function version free. If you buy you will need to read how to do the updates and there are a few to get. The AutoMusic will download multiply updates because of the endless amount of mixes you can do. Also the title effects has 10 updates and then the Quick Produce has some.

If you buy what you get for the money is way more than you can expect. Once you learn what you got and you may want to add more. You can then buy more NewBlue Effect packages. They are different prices, but you do not need them.

I think for the money VSX3 is the best option. I have been able to do things with it I never thought possible. However one day I do intend to buy Sony Vegas Pro 10.

Participant

I personally use Vegas Pro 10 AND Pinnacle Studio ( a little bit). Pinnacle is nice for some consumerish functions that sadly the pro versions tend to ignore. And not just cheesy stuff, there is definite functionality.

Pinnacle is actually pretty good if you are just editing home movies etc. The newest version you can purchase with Magic Bullet Looks (SE) along with some other Red Giant plug ins. This is MUCH BETTER than Magic Bullet Quick Looks (the cheaper option addon for Vegas and other NLEs) as you have control over different functions of the look. If you want anything near that for Vegas you have to pay $400 JUST for the addon. Now when you look at Pinnacle Studio running around $100 and it goes far above and beyond just the Red Giant plugins do with an NLE included. Highly recommended!

Participant

For what it is worth, I use Adobe’s Suite, because of the good integration between the graphic tools (illustrator and Photoshop) and the video editing tools (Premiere Pro), as well as the common user interface. If I were on a budget, I would look at the Premiere & photoshop elements combination – then you could always move up to the full Adobe Suite at a later stage.

Inactive

Not to type a long message. I tried a lot and hated so many. Did some review checks on youtube and then checked out AVS 5.1 Paid the 59 bucks and really like the product. Even have contacted the Developers on some issues they needed to fix and that right there was nice. Check out avs4you.com

Most of the latest videos I edit have been with it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JimmyJackFarm

James

Participant

I’ve got an e1550 (EDIT”1505″)- 1.66GHz duo 2GB ram120GBhdd 5400rpm- and it works just fine.

Participant

XTR-91. I can install and run Vegas Studio Pro 10 just fine on my system. I downloaded the trial version. If you look over the postings you may notice we were not talking about “working” we were talking more along the lines on how the software preforms when you have 7-14 tracks, of mixed video, audio ect. Then you have to worry about the rendering since during that part you are hopefully asleep or doing something else beside using the computer, as ANY computer use during rendering may impact the render.

If your hardware is not up to what the maker of the software suggest for multiple tracks and rendering, then opening the program and running a few tracks is mute, because when I do some videos I have had every track used, My system will not be able to do that with Sony Vegas Pro 10 and I would have to say yours will not either, you will get jitters int he render at some point.

It is the total of the end that matters not the beginning of the journey.

Participant

Your e1550 would have some problems running 7+ tracks with Sony Vegas Pro 10. That is the mobile version and it has a 533 FSB. That Buss speed with the fact that rendering has to swap a lot, you would bottleneck and end up with a lot of jitters.

So back to my point, Even my system is not able to run Sony Vegas Pro 10 or CS5 and allow me to get all that I can get with the program. If I am going to spend that much on a program I want to USE all the program, not just what my system can handle.

I have been giving thought to building another system. Have to chew on it a while.

SpectateSwampSpectateSwamp
      Participant

I don’t edit anything. My custom video player can start and stop anywhere in a mpg video. Slow motion, Freeze Frame and Random are some of the main features. Time-Line playback is quicker and there are just the originals to keep track of. Keep the videos short so they upload to the NET easily.

That is about it.

Participant

Sony Vegas will do everything you need it to do and is pretty easy to learn. Maybe a little steeper of a learning curve than things such as Adobe Elements and the more basic video editors, but the fact that you are on a videomaker website and are asking for help shows that you are bright and that it will be pretty easy for to learn. And if you ever have any troubles, there are tons of Youtube and online tutorials!

Inactive

Green Screen Wizard Software Has The Greatest Flexibility That Was Unheard Of Even A Few Years Ago. This Gives You Tremendous Artistic Control Over The Final Image! It had made my work fast and easy. I found it on this site http://www.chromakeysoftwares.com

Participant

There are many things I still love about Media Composer. I admit most of them are because I’ve been on Avid products since the mid 90s though. I dig a lot of things about FCP. Smoothcam is a fine example. Vegas’ audio strengths are unmatched by any video NLE and Smoke’s compositing and tracking tools are simply a blast to bill on. All in all, I wish I could combine the best things about each app I love and do everything in one application.

Participant

For those who at the early stage of editing, I thought that I might recommend Sony Vegas Movie Studio. At least for me it was very intuitive and easy to start with and I have heardthat it will be an easy step to the Vegas Pro software. I haven’t yet found anything that I wanted to dothat I couldn’t do with Movie Studio. I use an Athlon dualcore 2500 Mhz, 5gb memory and can handle AVCHD competently.

Participant

it aint bad.

not that marketable but a great tool to learn on.

Participant

I use Vegas 10 pro and love it but that is my preference

Participant

From conversations I’ve had with professional video producers, most use Avid, Final Cut or Premiere. But a huge portion of those folks also use Vegas for portions of their projects (or even entire projects).

The best advice I can give would be to download and try each product – most, if not all have a fully functional trial version (30 days) that you can install and test drive to see which you find the most comfortable working in.

Grinner – You bring up a valid point. It would be nice if the software houses could come up with a video standard project format so you could edit in multiple NLE’s (sort of like MIDI did with music – I could start out with Band In A Box, edit with Voyetra Digital Orchestrator and then move over to Cakewalk Sonar using the same .mid file). I don’t expect this anytime soon but t would be nice.

Participant

I imagine someone will create a software that will allow users to program without writing code. Not unlike wen design tools that write code for the vusual designer. That will happen sooner or later. We’ll be able to drag and drop to create our own NLE’s and won’t think twice about it. It’ll be no different than creating user settings to the user.

Participant

I downloaded and tried out the trial versions of most of the well known video editing software out there. I used thesame set of clips,applied the same enhancements and exported using the same criteria with each of these packages.

These programmes all displayed various pros and cons. Working with AVCHD footage causedmany of these programs to become unstable and even tocrash. With some programmes, trying to apply certain fairly simple functions would be rediculously complex to execute. Exporting/rendering in some cases were simply unacceptably slow. I have to add that I run a high spec pc which would negate hardware issues as being the cause of many of the problems encountered.

Fjclaus, if you have the time to download and evaluate many/most/all of these programmes, I strongly recommend that you do. You will be surprised what you find. Do not be misled by hype. There are some bad programmes, some good ones and some reallyGREAT ones. Settle on a programme that YOU deem appropriate for your requirements.

For what it’s worth, I settled on a programme called Serif MoviePlus X3. X3 has been lagging behind most of the more well known brands ito certain functionality. However, finally Serif is launching the long awaited new version called MoviePlus X5 (for some reason they decided to skip a version X4). Launch date is 7 Feb. Check it out then.

Your e1550 would have some problems running 7+ tracks with Sony Vegas Pro 10. That is the mobile version and it has a 533 FSB. That Buss speed with the fact that rendering has to swap a lot, you would bottleneck and end up with a lot of jitters. https://lennyfaces.org/

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap