Editing Software

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Iknow there’san editingsoftwaresection ofthe forum,butthis isn’t specifically about one “brand”or version.

Right now I’m a studentincollegeand am startingtosave up moneyfor somevideo editing software.I’m using Avid FreeDV right now.IfI understandit correctly based on the termsof someof these programs,some can only beused forpersonaluse (like home movies),some for students (student licenses),and some for “professional”use where youcanlegallysell your edited film.

What I’m tryingto understand is which programs offerthe “professional”use?Does Vegas Pro offer that?Which version of Premireoffers that?Also,I wastold a while backIcan buya student version of Avid Xpress now,andwhenI graduateIcan “upgrade” itto their Media Composer software for “only” $1000, but that’slike getting $6000 worthof software for1300, and gives methe “professional”use.

I’m not tryingto ask the “whichis better” questionhere, just findout what my options aresoIcanmakethe best decision based on what editorIlike.Any helportips onfiguring this stuffoutis greatly appreciated.

Participant

Got a Mac? Final Cut Studio 2. $600 for the student version. Exactly the same as the regular version except you can’t upgrade to Final Cut Studio 3 when that comes out. It doesn’t matter thought because there were years in between Final Cut Studio and Final Cut Studio 2. And besides, Apple doesn’t check to see if you’re really a student. So when FCS3 comes out, just keep saying you’re a student.

I wouldn’t recommend Avid. It’s way to expensive to get all the bells and whistles. And when you do get all the bells and whistles after dropping thousands and thousands of dollars, it’s not really much better than Final Cut Studio.

Final Cut is being used by more and more pros and it’s working it’s way more and more into the industry. At least where I’m from, it’s all students use. So what’s the industry going to do when we all graduate? Not use Final Cut?

Participant

From what I understand, when you buy anacademic license, it’s only good while you are still a student even though it’s the same software as the “pro” version. Is it different with FCS?

This brings up another question- while I’m still a student, if I use a student license of a program, am I technically able to sell my work, or is it only for school work pertaining to my classes?

As faras notrecomending Avid,that’s formeto decide.Right now I’m tryingto geta listofwhich versions willallowmetosell myworksoIcaninvestigatewhich editorI like best, which hasthefeaturesIneed,and the price I’m willingto pay.

Also, Iwouldpersonallythinktheindustrywill tell their editors tolearn/use whateverthey alreadyhave?Idon’tsee major studios buying a new, differentsoftwarepackage every time students graduate with a different preference. In any case, I’m not terribly interested in the industry as my focus is more on my own indy creations with the ability to do what I want, not what I’m told. If I ever do make it big, I expect I’ll have editors that will be able to do a better job than I can with post. Even though I enjoy all aspects of filmmaking, I enjoy pre-production and production the most.

All-in-all I’m just lookingto get clarity on what these software licensesallow/disallow because I don’t wanttohavesomethinggoto a Torontoor Sundanceor be nominated for Best Picture and then be disqualified because I broke software license. 😛 (or more accurately on the level that I’m doing now… I don’t want to shoot a training video for a company and then be sued by Avid or Sony or Adobe, etc).

Participant

FCS sends you a bundle for $600 and you can do whatever you want with it. Load it up to more than one computer if you want. Just don’t register the software. There’s no limit to the student version that I have except that I won’t upgrade to FCS3, which won’t be for years anyway.

You ask this question about software not being allowed for projects you are selling…First of all, I’ve never heard of that rule. Second, how are people going to know what software you use. I think someone gave you the wrong information on that one.

I really know how the industry will deal with everyone learning Final Cut, but I don’t think anyone is going to say “You have to learn this program” They just look for people who already know the programs they have. And it just so happens that a lot of people are investing in Final Cut and are looking for final cut editors. Trust me, I do freelance work and a lot of people look for Final Cut editors or just don’t care what you use.

And to your last paragraph, I highly doubt you will be disqualified from a festival if you use FCP, that is, if that rule even exists. It’s too popular…so many people use it. And you’re not going to be getting sued over what editing software you use.

Participant

Go to http://www.academicsuperstore.com

The site will check to see if you are enrolled in a university, or will have you fax a student ID and some other paperwork. You can get Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 or any other piece of software at extreme discounts. For example Premiere is under $350.

All the software is completely professional – there’s nothing like a student version where you can’t make videos and sell them. You can do whatever you want with the software – no restricting license.

Participant

I think what you mean is the price? maybe? I haven’t heard of anyacademic version/license of any software. It’s just cheaper. but you are right in asking this because it will help you sleep at night later in life.

I would buy the normal pro version, because less hassle legal-wise, but I talked to a guy at adobe.com about getting a student discount even though I graduated college in May. He said you just have to fax or email your transcripts copy and photo ID or student ID card…something like that.Anyway, look into this, becasue it sounded way easy and adobe stuff is good.

Participant

Thanksfortherepliesguys -I looked over academic superstore and am veryinterestedin that.I’m still a current student (andwill be for atleastanother 2-3years… maybe moreifI add athird+major :-P),soI don’thaveto worry too much about proving I’ma student!

Ithink a lotof myconfusion about student licenses is that my “main” majorat schoolis Computer Engineering,so I basically studycomputerhardwareandcomputersoftware.I while back (actually when I wasin middle school)I gotsome student licenses of some MS Visual Studio stuff (my dad is a network admin at a school so that’s how I got the academic stuff). I read part of those licenses and they made specific mention that it was a student license and can only be used for academic purposes. I guess I just figured that all “student” licenses were the same way. Good to know editing software isn’t like that!

Participant

I just remembered – my copy of Autodesk Maya(called Maya PLE) says specifically “Not for Commercial Use” on the welcome screen. I think this is kind of bogus, but oh well. Maya PLE is a free download, kind of like a free trial. It’s not specifically called an academic version,but PLE stands for Personal Learning Edition. Sort of academic I guess.

Participant

“I read part of those licenses and they made specific mention that it was a student license and can only be used for academic purposes. I guess I just figured that all “student” licenses were the same way. Good to know editing software isn’t like that!”

Actually, it is like that, the people giving you advice here just don’t know what they are talking about.

Technically, when you buy software you aren’t really buying it you are actually licensing it from the company that created it. Because of this they can bind you to the terms of a licensing agreement. While the software sold under the full retail license and the academic license are the same the agreements in general are not. While in general you are free with a retail license to do just about anything you want (usually except backwards engineer it) an academic license is more restrictive. Some of them are intended to only be used for the duration of your studies, others only to be used on non-commercial projects, others may be more restrictive, companies have a lot of leeway in how they write the agreements. When you click that little button “i agree to the licensing agreement” button you are effectively agreeing to abide by it even if you haven’t read it as many don’t. Now, while not all academic software license agreements may have limitations like these, FCP, Premiere PRO, and AVID do.

Of course I must add that it is nearly impossible to enforce these licensing agreements. But technically they do exist.

To address some specific issues:

>>FCS sends you a bundle for $600 and you can do whatever you want with it. Load it up to more than one computer if you want. Just don’t register the software. There’s no limit to the student version that I have except that I won’t upgrade to FCS3, which won’t be for years anyway.<<

Actually, If you read the material that came with the program it should tell you that while you can install it on multiple machines, you are limited to running the software on one machine at any given time. One of the things that FCP will do when it turns on is check your local network for any other machines running FCP and if it detects others with the same serial number it shuts itself down. It is a security mechanism to prevent people with multiple machines from buying one copy of the software and ghosting it to multiple machines to create their own studio. Unless they changed it very recently, the academic version has has a clause against using it for commercial work.

>>And besides, Apple doesn’t check to see if you’re really a student. So when FCS3 comes out, just keep saying you’re a student.<<

You realize that technically that would be fraud right?

About Me:

I have spent the last 17 years working in media. For five years I helped run the day to day operations of the Visual Communications, Digital Media, and Digital Filmmaking programs at the Katherine Gibbs School in NYC. As part of that jobs I had to deal with licensing agreements concerning software from Adobe, Apple, Avid, and Microsoft.

Participant

Jerronsmith,

Thanksforthe greatpost!I guessit was toogoodto be true gettingaretail licenseforan academic price!

Doesanyoneknowwhere Ican get acopyofthe licenses (academic and/orretail) before IbuysoIcansee whatisallowed,etc?Also, do youknow ifanycompaniesoffer asomewhat cheaper “upgrade” from an academic licenseto aretail license?

Callme oldfashion, butI wantto belegal (atleastwhen itcomesto editing…Ican’tmake any promises about mycarspeed :-P). It’swhyI got alegalcopy ofXP when Ineededitandalegalcopy of Vista whenI wantedto upgrade.Andwhy Ibuy thegamesI wantto play andrentthe moviesI wantto see.

Participant

>>Doesanyoneknowwhere Ican get acopyofthe licenses (academic and/orretail) before IbuysoIcansee whatisallowed,etc?Also, do youknow ifanycompaniesoffer asomewhat cheaper “upgrade” from an academic licenseto aretail license?<<

Many companies have the information on their website or a contact email or phone number for assistance on licensing. You can probably also get it by installing a demo copy of the software. Many programs have a folder named Legal that is installed rigth aong with the application. It can be tricky though, for example Adobe has a generic software agreement but expects the user to go to their site and review the academic software usage restrictions.

>>Callme oldfashion, butI wantto belegal (atleastwhen itcomesto editing…Ican’tmake any promises about mycarspeed :-P). It’swhyI got alegalcopy ofXP when Ineededitandalegalcopy of Vista whenI wantedto upgrade.Andwhy Ibuy thegamesI wantto play andrentthe moviesI wantto see.<<

Where I come from it is called being professional. The fact is that merely because you won’t get caught doesn’t make something right. By the way, I believe that some companies do actually have exemptions for the use of their software for projects created for film festivals and things like that. But once again I would suggest that you consult each companies site.

Participant

Thanks, Jerron! I’d never got too deep into it before. Thanks for your knowledge.

Participant

Currently I am editing on my Mac Book Pro. I want to buy a desktop system and begin using that, because I’m starting to get more editing work. Problem is, when it come to desktops, I’m a PC guy who doesn’t know what to look for in an Apple.

Also, I have a very small budget ($1500)and I’m looking for used gear, if necessary. Can someone recommend basic requirements?

Participant

what are you gonna be editing. HD or SD? How big will the projects be? Are you gonna be doing any graphics?

Participant

for $1500 I’d be looking at adding a 23 inch cinema display to my macbook pro, maxing out the ram on my macbook pro and buying up some lacie or buffalo firewire harddrives….

or getting a 24 inch imac and a couple gigs of ram.

I stick with final cut.

If you start your own business, and you take your profits and reinvest them in yourself/ your staff….you can maintian your student status while reducing your taxload by actually going back to school to “upgrade” your skills every couple years. (I went back to school as a college student just to prove to myself I could. ( I have learning disabilities, was self taught and started my own business with nothing, not even grade nine.) My photography instructor still sends work my way, when he’s booked (he runs a business, as well as instructs), and my marketing proffessor assured me when he retires (due to conflict of interest policies) he’s going to call me about some joint ventures.

So be a student, use a student licence. Save on taxes. Use the money you save on taxes to buy the newest versions. Be honest. Sleep well at night. Did I mention save on taxes?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap