Editing Programs

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am somewhat new at this and need some direction….I bought a Panasonic AG30 (and happy with it) and use Pinnacle editing program. I have sons that race motocross and I have done many videos of them and other riders and although they have turned out pretty good I am curious of what the next level in editing programs is. What is above and beyond my current editing program?

Inactive

I have been using pinnacle I like it alot. I also just got Sony Vegas last week. I am still trying to get used to it. Right now I like pinnacle better, but it is what I am use to.

Participant

Pinnacle is owned by Avid so the natural upgrade path is Avid Liquid 7 or Liquid Pro.

Inactive

I also have a DVC30, and I have been using Vegas 7. According to reviews I’ve read, Vegas has a different style of user-interface than most video editing packages, but it provides more ‘bang-for-the-buck’ than those other packages. I’ve only used Vegas, so I didn’t have to deal with unlearning a different editing package. But I can attest to the versatiity of Vegas. I am constatnly amazed at what I can do with video compositing and with audio and video manipulation. I’m sure the pro versions of Pinnacle and Premiere can do the same, but for a slightly higher price. If you’ve become accustomed to, and like, the user interface of Pinnacle, then you might want to go with the pro version of Pinnacle or Premiere. If you would like to save a little money, and don’t mind learning a different user interface, give Vegas 7 a try!
      My 3 cents worth. πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Thanks for the input…..I’m not too woried about the cost!!!

Inactive

It depends on what you want to do:

If you are mainly dealing with surface things, combining clips with simple transitions and some use of alpha channels etc, premiere is good, if you are going to include some simple effects, matting and some simple motion tracking, you may need after effects,
      From there it goes up significantly.
      If you are doing full on Compositing and FX, you would look at studio packages like Fusion 5 and for tracking Matchmover pro or Boujou, but likely this won’t be on your agenda unless you plan to invest mountains of time learning these programs and gaining experience. Generally, Premiere and After Effects make a good combination for most things.

Participant

the next step up is avid, but id say, if your really into editing invest into a mac.

Participant

Brother Mike Productions Wrote:

I have been using pinnacle I like it alot. I also just got Sony Vegas last week. I am still trying to get used to it. Right now I like pinnacle better, but it is what I am use to.

hi,
      i’m also looking into getting into video editing and posting online for my own little website.
      are you referring to Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11?

i recorded some videos with my Sony SR200, i just want a way to combine clips, compress the videos for uploading.

thanks for any help πŸ™‚

Inactive

tommyjeans Wrote:

hi,
      i’m also looking into getting into video editing and posting online for my own little website.
      are you referring to Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11?

i recorded some videos with my Sony SR200, i just want a way to combine clips, compress the videos for uploading.

thanks for any help πŸ™‚

Hi!

For web? Hmmm. I have only used one program to do this. Adobe Premiere. It does WMV fairly well, I am not sure about pinnacle, I haven’t used it enough. Probably someone else is more familiar

Inactive

I use Pinnacle Liquid Edition v6.1 and it is awesome. It will do a multi-cam sync/edit, up to 16 camera views. It has real time 2D and 3D and composting, dynamic time warp, color correction, DVD authoring, and burning, WMV, AVI, MOV, record to tape, firewire monitoring, unlimited video and audio tracks and more. Also, I think it will upgrade from Studio. It also comes with a titling plug-in. All the trasitions are editable. I also purchased Mind Meld video instruction DVDs from http://www.creationtrek.com , which has been very helpful during the learning curve. It also will handle multiple video formats in the same project, such as standard digital, hi-def, 3:4, wide screen, etc.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap