Editing for DVD – use of production monitor

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Editing for DVD – use of production monitor

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am purchasing a Power Mac with dual LCDs for DV editing going direct to DVD. First time doing this stuff…

I know that most people hang their production monitor off their VTR deck, but I’m not going back to tape. I think that I would like to use a production monitor to make sure everything looks good on TV, but what is the best way to use it? Do I have to output to DVD and view it that way or is there some other way to hook the monitor up to use it during the editing process?

Participant

you can do 1 of 2 things. you can buy a vtr deck and hang it offf of the deck like you said, or you can buy a firewire monitor. good luck finding that. you can also hook your camcorder u to the firewire connection and to the tv and set your camcorder for passthrough. this will allow you to view it on the monitor. personally i would just buy a deck and be done with it.

Participant

Thanks stonewall. I figured out that I could do the Camcorder passthru and I think that’s the way we’ll go for now. I don’t see any advantage for us right now in buying an expensive deck when we can just use a cheap $200 camcorder to do the ‘same’ job.

What are the benefits as you see it? The only gain I can see right now is much faster seek time on the clips. The deck won’t get the media into the system at faster than 1x speed will it? Right now I imagine we’ll be taking advantage of the realtime capture to take notes on the shots.

Participant

no, using a deck will not get the clips onto your system any faster than your camera, but it saves alot of wear and tear on the camera when logging clips, and in mycase where i only have 1 camera it gets really annoying digging for cables every time i want to use the monitor.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap