editing footage directly from dvd?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello all. A newbie here with a rather simplistic question. At this point in the game, I have a Sony Handycam Hi-8 mm camcorder and no easy way to transfer my footage onto my computer for editing except to burn it to a DVD. The camcorder doesn’t have a USB cable, just A/V cables. I do have firewire on my computer though. Isit possible to use a firewire cable with my analogHi-8mm camcorder? Iuse the rather simplistic Windows Movie Maker for my editing. I’m looking to soon make some heavy upgrades to my editing software andto a digital camcorder…

But in the meantime, my current method is to burn the footage to DVD, then I have to convert the footage to an AVI in order for Windows Movie Maker to be able to use it. This heavily dampens my quality.Is there any current video editing software that allows you to import footage directly from a DVD-RW?

I’m guessing there is a way to connect to the firewire, but I’m not sure what special equipment I may need to convert the signal from analog to digital.

Thanks for any help!

Joe

Inactive

Just go to your local Electronics dealer. Best Buy, etc and ask them for the conversion equipment. It will probably run you about $50 bucks.

Or just go in and go to the Video editing section with all the video capture cards etc.

The hardware should have an A/V in and a USB or Firewire out.

They will probably have Pinnacle or something in stock. Although I don’t recommend the software, Go ahead and use the device.

That should at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Inactive

OK, so aside from the A/V to USB or Firewire cable, you are saying I will need a video capture card? I went to BestBuy.com and these were all that I found…

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=E0KMIE5CSYQRNKC4D3IFAFI?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=video+capture+card&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

they all appear to be TV tuner cards…and the lowest is $49.99 (on sale).

I’m thinking I would want an external card, unless the internal ones aren’t too hard to install.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Joe

Inactive
      Inactive

Yep, the Pinnacle Dazzle is what I purchased. I’ll see how this works out for me….thanks!

Inactive

You give away a lot of resolution by burning to dvd first. And really the footage isn’t suitable for editing because its already been compressed. You will be much happier with the results from the dazzle.

Griz

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
homicide-bootstrap