Editing computer advice

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello, I am using Studio 12 Ultimate. But thinking about switching to Adobe CS5.

About a year ago I purchased the parts to build a computer to use for video editing. I am not a trained tech but know enough to assemble parts. I am a missionary working with Native American youth. We need this computer to edit & produce video for the community.

Anyway, part of my build was an Intel DP45SG Motherboard. The computer has been unstable since the beginning and often it has shut down and rebooted for no apparent reason. After that it will not boot correctly with an error message saying it’s missing a file: windows\system32\config\system. Bottom line is that I’m just tired of having to mess with this computer & reload windows. Over the past year all the research I’ve done on the problem leads me back to the mother board, it seems this is the worst product Intel has ever made.

So my question is: Can anyone out there suggest the best motherboard for me to purchase that will be compatible with the components I have on this one, and will work well for video editing? I am thinking of upgrading my windows to Win7 64 bit with XP compatibility if the componets I have will handle it. Please I need someones advise that knows what they’re doing. My current computer build is as follows:

Operating System – Windows XP Pro SP3
      Chassis – Chieftec Full Tower
      Power Supply – Ultra X3 800W PSU QUAD
      Motherboard – Intel DP45SG MB
      Processor – Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 12M
      Memory – Corsair XMS3 2048MB PC10600 x4
      Hard Drive – 500GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive x3
      Optical Drive – Sony DRU-V200S 20X SATA DVD
      Storage Controller – Integrated Storage Controller
      Video – EVGA GEFORCE 9600GT 1GB PCI
      Network – INT GBIT NETWORK ADAPTER
      Audio – Intel High Definition Audio

Thanks in advance PS. we really can’t afford to build a whole new computer

composite1

Lane,

Common problem when doing your own builds. Prior to purchase, you must research your board of choice thoroughly (or it’s predecessor.) The reviews given by those who have purchased one before you are invaluable in helping you decide. Two things to keep in mind; 1. The board has to be socket compatible with your CPU. That may sound stupid, but all too often new builders get jazzed over a board and overlook that basic rule. 2. RAM slots compatible with what you already have and potentially upgradeable. You’ve already got 8GB of RAM and make sure your choice of mobo has the same number of pins per slot as your available memory does.

Other things you should consider are how many PCI-e x1, PCI-e x16 and PCI slots you want. PCI-e x16 slots are generally used for multiple video cards. Unless you plan on running more than two monitors or using multiple GPU’s for 3D rendering, they aren’t that important. You need at least one PCI-e x1 slot for use with video capture cards (since firewire is losing ground as a capture medium.) Most good inexpensive capture cards now are designed for the PCI-e x1 slot. Lastly, you’ll want at least two old-fashioned PCI slots for expansion cards like an audio capture card, firewire card, etc.

Most important overall is taking into account how all of your existing gear will fit together on the new board in your existing case without creating crowding and overheating issues. Here’s a couple of good places to find Socket 775 LGA Mobo’s;

New Egg

Tiger Direct

*Note: Cheapest/most expensive is not always best! Read the specifications and reviews carefully. Also do a web search on your prospective board to get additional info and reviews. Once you’ve read up on 3 or more potential choices, then break them down to the one you think is best. Also, don’t be afraid to ask here on the forum or others if anyone has had experience with a particular board.

pseudosafari

Composite1 said it all, and those sites pretty much have everything you need. I only add that I’ve used Pinnacle Studio since version 8 or so (for years) and I love it for what it is–simple and pretty effective. But I upgraded to Premiere Pro CS4 and I love it because the Adobe packages work really well together and do pretty much everything I want. I can import a Photoshop FILE–not just a pic, but the FILE itself–and play with parts of it, for example. Plus, if you’re going to work with After Effects, Premiere Pro is a great tool to choose. But, it’s up to you–maybe those bells and whistles aren’t what you need. There IS a learning curve when you move from Pinnacle to Adobe, so be aware of that. But I’ve found it worth it for me (and I’m not a professional video guy). Just my two cents. Oh, and my PC specs are pretty close to yours–get that board issue (if that’s what it is) fixed and you should be okay if you move up to Premiere Pro. (I have 8 GB of RAM but…)

pmorton62
      Participant

If you go with Windows 7 you can probably forget about using Studio 12. I don’t think it works with 7.

Anonymous
      Inactive

composite1

Yep, I did research it before I bought the parts and really thought I had the best components i could get and that they all worked well together. The only thing I failed to do was look at reviews for everything, especially the motherboard. I did look at the ones offered on Global computer (same as Tiger), and didn’t see any bad ones at the time. However it was a fairly new board & I guess there weren’t a lot of complaints yet. But now Intel’s desktop MoBo forum is just covered with complaints about it. I’ve had several people suggest ASUS as a quality MoBo manufacturer, the problem I’m having is finding a board that can use all of my components, especially the DDR3 1333MHz memory, most use DDR2.

If you can suggest any I’d be grateful. Thanks

210pe
      Participant

For what its worth I have had bad luck with Intel branded motherboards. I have had good luck with Gigabyte and MSI. I have built probably 25 pc’s over the years nearly all with these motherboards. As info, I had a Gigabyte motherboard running WinXP using it as a server that never had to be reboot in over 14 months (shhh..don’t tell the Mac guys they won’t believe that)

hmueller
      Participant

Hi

Here is a useful guide to building a PC for video editing: http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY8+Sneak+Peek+Work+in+Progess+Coming+this+Fall/0x094b1737e0a06c495e5178a167fbdbd7.aspx

The symptom you describe can be due to overheating…

Heidi

composite1

HMueller,

I took a look at the specs for the Videoguys rig. Not too shabby. I also liked the 10k drive suggestion. One practical point I’d make is nixing having a 1TB boot drive on an NLE. The 600GB they suggest is big enough. The reasons I say that is a) you actually should only have your OS and Functional Programs on the Boot Drive in addition to files you access immediately (documents and such.) Partitioning the drive is where you split the drive (I usually go 50-50) and stash your back-up files for documents and other files you’re not using regularly. I also use the partition to store audio temp files. That way if you have to reformat the boot drive partition for any reason, you’ll have all your other files safely stashed on the storage partition. The biggest reason to partition is b) running maintenance programs like defrag, error checking and back up. The bigger the drive, the longer that stuff takes.

HLane,

Yeah, even when it’s a new board when they don’t have any immediate info check out the previous model for any issues. Often these are hints to look out for with the new board as to whether they’ve been worked out or not. Far as your issue with 1333 Memory capable boards go, check those links I gave you. TD and NE specifically mention whether they are DDR2 or 3 friendly. Once you find something that suits your requirements of 775 Socket LGA and DDR3 then just do the required research to make a solid decision. The problem with going with an untested board, you’ll have to dig up reviews from Tech magazines and websites to get their impressions. Don’t just roll with or against a board after reading only one tech review. I say that so that you can average out the reviews to get a better impression of what you want to buy.

210pe,

I’ve used MSI boards in a couple of builds for AMD based chips. They weren’t bad at all. I’ve got an NLE I built in ’02 with one that’s still quite operational. Lately, I’m using EVGA. For more advanced builds, I’m looking at Tyans.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN