Editing Computer

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Have edited with my PC and Adobe Premiere for a couple of years, looking for advice on upgrading. I will be editing a tremendous amount of HD footage filmed with a Canon XH A1. What does everyone recommend? I am leaning towards Adobe Production Premium but am lost when it comes to upgrading my computer……need advice badly!!!

Mac Pro w/FCP will do the job. Also, Composit1 and a host of others will steer you in the right direction for staying with PC, there’s a LOT of good things being said about the current iteration of Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.

‘Cage,

Welcome aboard. If you’re just looking to bring your current system up to speed depending on what you currently have available, that may not be such a big deal. My upfront recommendation is to stick with the programs and systems your proficient with since you have an upcoming job. Adding the learning curve of new software and gear while trying to complete a job is a pain. Hit us with the spec’s on your workstation/laptop and we’ll be able to point you in the right direction. Be it PC or Mac, Avid, FCP, Premiere or Vegas you’ve come to the right place.

Participant

Hi Guys

I’m in basically the same situation as ribcage. Listed below is a coniguration I am considering for a laptap.

Please advise what you would change, add, delete, suggest. A few of the items are auto-filled (I didn’t choose)

Thanks!

• *BASE_PRICE: [+2295]
    • ADAPTER: Universal AC-DC Adapter (I7NTBK)
    • BAGS: Free Deluxe Carrying Bag for 17 Inch Notebook
    • BATTERY: 12-cell Li-Ion Battery Pack 6600mAh (I7NTBK)
    • BLUETOOTH: Built-in Bluetooth
    • CD: 4X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVDR/2.4X + DL Super-Multi Drive (NB-328-BLURAY) [+140]
    • CPU: [Special] Intel Core i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366
    • FLASHMEDIA: Built-In 7in1 Media Reader
    • FLOPPY: None
    • FREEBIE_CU: FREE Game: Just Cause 2
    • HDD: 256GB A-DATA S596 Series Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+517]
    • HDD2: 500GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+81]
    • HDD3: 500GB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive [+81]
    • HDMI: Built-in HDMI Port
    • IEEE_CARD: Built-in IEEE-1394 Firewire Port
    • INVERTER: None
    • KEYBOARD: Built-in Keyboard
    • LANSURGE: None
    • MEMORY: 12GB (4GBx3) DDR3-1333 SODIMM Triple-Channel Memory [+315] (Corsair or Major Brand)
    • MODEM: BUILT-IN 56K V.92 FAX MODEM
    • MOTHERBOARD: Intel X58 + ICH-10R Chipset Mainboard
    • MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD
    • NETWORK: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Card
    • NOTEBOOK: X7-Xtreme Notebook 17″ WUXGA TFT LCD Display 1920×1200 Pixels w/ 3.0 Megapixel Built-in Webcam, Intel Wi-Fi 5300AGN Wireless, IEEE-1394a, HDMI Port, Li-Ion Battery, & Universal AC Adapter
    • NOTEBOOK_COVER: X7-Xtreme Notebook Cover – Original Metallic Black
    • OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate [+105] (64-bit Edition)
    • PRINTER: None
    • PRINTER_CABLE: Ultra ULT40126 500HI 25FT. 1080p HDMI Male/DVI Black/Gold Cable [+49]
    • RAID: RAID-1 Storage (Data Mirror – Requires 2nd Hard Disk Drive)
    • RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
    • SERVICE: STANDARD 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
    • SOUND: Built-in 3D Premium Surround Sound
    • SPEAKERS: Built-in Stereo Speakers System
    • TVRC: Media Center Remote Control [+29]
    • USB: Ultra ULT31808 External 7-Port Buddy USB Hub [+30]
    • USBFLASH: None
    • USBHD: None
    • VIDEO: NVIDIA Mobility GeForce GTX DDR3 Video (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M 1GB DDR3 Video)
    • VIDEOCAMERA1: Built-in 3.0 Mega Pixel Camera
    • WNC: Intel WiFi Link 6300 a/b/g/n Wireless Adapter
    • _PRICE: (+3642)
    Participant

“I will be editing a tremendous amount of HD footage filmed with a Canon XH A1.”

You want good speed and fast operation. There’s no doubt about that. But what I’d put a bit more emphasis on is space. You’ll get much more portability out of a large external hardrive. Let’s put it this way – you need a great system, but your space needs are immense. I wouldn’t recommend spending over a thousand dollars on 32 TB, but maybe even 1 TB. I’ve heard that 64GB can store 4.5 hours of HDV footage. Multiply 64GB by 15.625 (from my calculator) and you get 1 TB. That’s quite a bit. If not that, 2 or 4 should cover your head.

Just on the basic level, your CPU, RAM and GPU should meet the recommended specs (preferably beyond the minimum requirements.) Then as XTR said, extra HDD space. Internal drives are preferable as working drives while external are good for storage. When working with HD particularly uncompressed for compositing, more drive space is better. However, get what you can afford is the golden rule.

Participant

If you plan on using adobe Premiere cs5 go to their website They have specs for a graphics board that will work with cs5 to give you plenty of video speed for HD non rendered playback.

Harry

• Viewing 6 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap