Editing Computer?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have been out of the video business for a few years but am looking to get back in.

I’m currently leaning towards:

Camera: Canon XH-A1

Software: Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0, ParticleIllusion, FXHome Effects Lab Pro; Pondering the Matrox Axio bundle but not sure if I really need it.

Misc: Varizoom VZ Navigator w/ FlowPod, Lowel Light Kit, Fluid Head Tripod, Wireless Mic Kit, Misc. Mic’s, Multi-Screen LCD display (for computer)

I also want to buy a dedicated computer system for video editing, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas in what direction to go in. I want to try to stay away from the "pre-packaged" computers like Dell, Gateway, and Alienware though.

Inactive

I know you said you’re using Adobe but Avid has a long list of computers and parts that you may need when you edit HD.
      The two things that keep coming up are big RAM and big fast hard drives. Arrays.

I would check out the Avid website just to get some ideas.

Let us know how you like that Canon too!

Inactive

Matrox’s site lists some very good ideas as well.

So far, here’s the features I’m zoning in on:
      3+ Ghz Dual Core and/or Dual Processors with PCIe
      2 GB RAM (minimum)
      NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (1GB)

I’m still looking at hard drives. I don’t want to go with a RAID system because if one drive fails, they all fail in a sense. I plan to have one HDD strictly for video and another for the OS, programs, and miscellaneous other stuff like my stock graphics, video and music as well as transitions and any other items that would warrant it. I may just get a third HDD for the stock items. They will all be Serial ATA.

I will get a CD/DVD writer combo as well.

I’m not sure whether or not I want to get a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD drive yet, but I don’t have to worry too much about those until a higher number of people actually start getting them for use in their homes. They’re still new and on the expensive side right now.

Inactive

elderban Wrote:

I’m not sure whether or not I want to get a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD drive yet, but I don’t have to worry too much about those until a higher number of people actually start getting them for use in their homes. They’re still new and on the expensive side right now.

I hear ya.
      That is and has been the big slow down for what we do, hasn’t it?

Well at least we’ll be ahead of the game once there is a clear direction on the HD-DVD Blu-Ray front.
      It’s funny because I’ve working with HD for some time (close to two years) now but it really is still a very new format.

Burners, disc, players and people with HD TVs and all at prices the average person can afford….
      That’s not too much to ask for from the market, is it?

Inactive

Well at least we’ll be ahead of the game once there is a clear direction on the HD-DVD Blu-Ray front.
      It’s funny because I’ve working with HD for some time (close to two years) now but it really is still a very new format.

About the only difference between the two is that Blue-Ray can hold more data – but this is also the reason why it costs more. Looks like it’s the VHS/Betamax battle all over again. But, like I said, it’ll be a few years before we really even have to worry about it anyway.

Still haven’t decided on a computer system yet, though.

Inactive

hds are cheaper than ever…
      buy 4
      RAID 5
      ’nuff said

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap