editing computer

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Help! I am looking at getting a computer to edit videos with and there is alot of advice out there. I need some one to just tell me what I need to run Sony Vegas and not ask questions about what I want. This is very frustrating some one please help. X-D

Inactive

Just to give you some baseline specs, you’ll want at least:

1 gigabyte of ram
      3.0GHz proccessor (If intel)
      At least 128mb video card.
      and A LOT OF HARD DRIVE SPACE!

Inactive

gwXtreme Wrote:

Just to give you some baseline specs, you’ll want at least:

1 gigabyte of ram
      3.0GHz proccessor (If intel)
      At least 128mb video card.
      and A LOT OF HARD DRIVE SPACE!

I won’t dispute any of the above as far as “more is better”, especially when it comes to video editing. But the original question was what is NEEDED, not necessarily what is RECOMMENDED. So I’m going to add my two cents. Especially since processing and RAM power cost a little more than two cents.

If you have particular software in mind, the answer is simple. Look at the system requirements. Again, more is better. But what you NEED is simply the minimum requirements. Should you have more than the minimum? It certainly wouldn’t hurt. A little bit more than the minimum often helps reduce the risk of crashes, etc, and will enhance the editing experience.

But let me say this. I use Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus on my 3+ year old computer, which has a Pentium 4 processor at 1.7 GHz. Studio’s minimum requirements specify 800 MHz. As for RAM, Studio requires 256 MB. My computer started out at 256 MB; I’ve since bumped it up to 512 MB. My computer is a dinosaur by today’s standards. And yet I am enjoying the heck out of video editing, even with having to feed the hamster that runs in the little wheel that powers my geriatric machine.

If Sony Vegas genuinely requires a minimum of 1 GB of RAM and a 3.0 GHz processor, then I’m way out of line here. But if not, then you don’t NEED 1 GB of RAM, and you don’t NEED a 3.0 GHz processor. You may end up spending more money than may be necessary.

Again, I won’t dispute that gwXtreme’s recommendations would more than satisfy any home video enthusiast’s cravings. But let’s not leave anyone the impression that his recommendations for processing power and RAM are written in stone.

Believe me, I wish I had a gig of RAM and 3 gigs of processor. But alas, I have a wife to answer to. So I settle for what I have which is more than ample for what I need. That’s the whole point I’m trying to make. There’s a difference between minimum necessity and overkill. There’s nothing wrong with overkill when it comes to video, but let’s make sure people know they don’t necessarily need overkill to enjoy the wonderful world of home video editing.

I definitely agree with a lot of hard drive space. My 80 GB hard drive screams for mercy when I capture and edit video. But again, I manage to get by with it.

P.S. I realize that it’s hard to buy a new computer these days with anything less than a 3 GHz processor.

Inactive

I work very comfortably using a computer with these specs:
      H/W: AthlonXP 2200+ | PQI 512 MB DDR400 RAM | MSI GeForce4 MX4000 | Pinnacle Studio AV/DV 9 | 2 x Western Digital Caviar JB’s each 80 GB w/ 8 MB cache | Teac CDW58E CD-RW | LG GSA-4163B DVDRW
      S/W: Windows XP Home SP2 | Pinnacle Studio 9.4 w/ Hollywood FX | Avid FreeDV 1.6.1 | Cyberlink Power Producer 2.0 Gold | Ahead Nero 6.6

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap