Editing AVCHD video in Premier Pro/Encore CS5

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Editing AVCHD video in Premier Pro/Encore CS5

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I will be using a Sony full HD camcorder that shoots AVCHD videos and have a couple of questions:

—will Premiere Pro edit the video in AVCHD or does it convert it to another HD format?

—I will probably start with a couple of hours worth of clips and end up with about a 45min edited video.  Do you have any idea how long it will take to render

—Finally, once its all done can I burn an SD DVD in Encore from the HD video?

Participant

charly, I know nothing about Premier Pro/Encore but I can give you a some info about rendering times. The computer- processor, harddrive, memory, graphics cardetc. will have a great impact on the amount of time required to render. Some additional info on what equipment you havewillhelp the people more familiar with your software better direction to answer your questions. Keep shooting.

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Hello Charly

• Premiere Pro CS5 let’s you edit AVCHD clips without the need of converting to another format. Edit in your camcorder native format.
      • Rendering times varies from computer and the complexity of your project. If your computer is not powerful enough, the rendering times will take a long time. Also, if your project has lots of effects and color correction, it will increase the rendering time. With my Macbook Pro (2009), a 45 minute project takes approximately 5-8 hours to render in H.264.
      • For best results render your video in MPEG2-DVD and import to Encore (H.264 also works great). You can also import an HD video and Encore will transcode it to SD.
      Participant

I will be using a Sony full HD camcorder that shoots AVCHD videos and have a couple of questions:

—will Premiere Pro edit the video in AVCHD or does it convert it to another HD format?

Premiere Pro can edit native AVCHD footage without needing to transcode it to another format (you can still though, if you’d rather use something like Avid’s free DNxHD it will work).

—I will probably start with a couple of hours worth of clips and
      end up with about a 45min edited video. Do you have any idea how long
      it will take to render

As said above, that will depend in large part on your hardware and what you output to- on average a 45 minute MPEG4 widescreen for Vimeo HD video (often with mixed input formats) takes between 35 and 50 minutes to output on an i7 machine with (only) 8 gigs of RAM.

—Finally, once its all done can I burn an SD DVD in Encore from the HD video?

Yes, you can encode for nearly any delivery format you choose, including optimization for handset devices. The combination of Media Encoder and Encore can produce some nice results.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap