Editing: Advice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

There are constant questions on the forums about editing but most are strictly about technical aspects concerning a particular software. Rarely do I see questions about the ‘process of editing’ , ‘how one tells a story’ or ‘how editing really works?’ These are pretty important questions to know and without them in your answer bag just makes learning to edit on your own that much more difficult.

To give forth some answers to those questions and many others, here is a segment from the “Editor’s Lounge” with some of today’s top flight editors from the Hollywood, Television and Corporate Video production communities.

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/videosplash/#ooid=M5amZpOhWXB4_Fi8Q0vFRiN7Aox1DZ5G

Participant

The Art of the Edit forum on the COW is good for this.

My workflows vary but, in a nutshell I lay all worthy content on a timeline then go through subtractivly until I get it to time. I then add b-roll, go from the top again with music, go back from the top again with sweetening and color grading, back from the top with effects and then a final pass with any layers of love that are required. Depends on the piece but that’s my norm. I can’t afford to waste time treating shots that may wind up on the cuttin’ room floor so this is the best approch for me.

When I’m doing documentary style stuff I use the subtractive method as well. For narrative, I follow the script first to get everything laid out during an assemble and then run with what best tells the story. I save effects and color-correction for last unless I’m doing something for a ‘Caddie-class’ client. I’ll take the extra time to make a sequence look more presentable if they need it for approval meetings.

Funny though, I’ve never had anyone ‘meltdown in my editing bay’ like that one guy did. That would be strange.

Participant

Me either. I’d send em kickin’ if that happened.

I’m lucky. I have no clients that are not my friend. That’s the key, really. Put yourself int he friend-making business and you’ll have very few unbooked days.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap