Early 3D

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      CraftersOfLight
      Participant

Was looking into some historical images and came across this one of a stereo image of a Stereo camera from the mid 1800s

birdcat
      Participant

In another lifetime, I used to work at the Associated Press and had the opportunity to go through many of their historical prints in the old files. They wanted to dispose of them but I convinced them to let me keep about 100 of them – I have many from presidential photos, WWII (including the Normandy invasion), famous persons, etc…

I have a small (about 300) collection of antique photos, including a couple of daguerreotypes and some old family shots including one of a woman who died in the Triangle fire.

Nothing like this however – If I had the space and time, I’d start with the stereoscopic images (which are very cool) along with some other goodies.

Rob
      Participant

Sure, of course in the mid 1800s they didn’t have moving images yet, but they did have 3D. They used something called a steroscope:

http://courses.ncssm.edu/gallery/collections/toys/html/exhibit01.htm?PHPSESSID=28bcb4cb3b0700268daca96b560c06f5

I remember talking about this in my history of photography class when I was in college

CraftersOfLight
      Participant

I posted this because it struck a strange cord with me, almost a deja vu, when Icame acrossitas we see the current industry leaning towards 3D film and video and the cameras to support that.

I remember my great grandfather having about 2 dozen of these types of pictures. The handheld viewer you had to adjust the distance with eachslide to get the 3D image to work.

And growing up with the handheld “binocular”Veiwmaster and their disks with pictures of national monuments and cartoons.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Dear CofL:

Speaking of deja vu, the guy on the right in the stereoview (in front of the darkroom on a tripod) looks familar.

Do you have any more info about this stereoview card?

Do you own it?

Is there anything printed on the front or back (photographer or publisher)?

– Charlotte Anjelica Kieltyka

CraftersOfLight
      Participant

I took the image from a website that was explaining the process used in the 1800s. It did not list the persons by name but explained more the equipment used for creating these early 3D images.

Here is that link:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/3d/stereo/3dgallery3.htm

vid-e-o-man
      Participant

Crafter, thanks for posting this information. I found the images at the link fascinating. I could ‘see’ 3Dusing the crosseyed technique. Maybe this explains some of the footage I shoot! Although not exactly video, I see your point about whats new is old or the more things change the more they stay the same. I recentlynoticed something at a local thrift store that made me think of your posting. They had acamera in a carry case.The camera was largewell-constructed metal box(8″ x 6″x 10″, not sure of exact measurents)and a cartridge on the back that would hold polaroid film. The case was very sturdy with brass corners and fittings like old style luggage with old foam lining (grey material with very small holes, not very springy). There was a sticker on the camera body that said something about children’s photography studio. On the camera was two lenses at about stereo picture making distance apart. I almost bought it but the $50 price tag discouraged me from purchasing somethingas acuriosity. I will probably google stereo polaroid camera and see what I find.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Open Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN