DVX 100A Low Light “Reddish” Skin tones help!!!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion DVX 100A Low Light “Reddish” Skin tones help!!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,

I have been shooting weddings for about 1 year now and when I get into a low light situation (receptions) with my DVX 100A, the peoples skin tones get very "reddish" no matter how often I try to re-white balance, they go too warm. The shirts are white the brides dress all white tablecothes etc. I have tried white balancing with a slightly orange filter in front of a white card, no luck (a trick a news cameraperson told me) and I am really at a loss. I have used an on board light for my camera (50wt-to 100wt) it helps but people really don’t like the light. I have gone in and reduced chroma in settings.

Can anyone help me with this, I have made 16mm films for many years so pretty familar with 16mm filmmaking, but this has baffled me for some time.

Thanks for any help or advice… the more the merrier… Thanks

Peace,

Jan

Inactive

Dropping the shutter is a good idea, compusolver.

I’ve shot a number of weddings with the DVX100. Here’s what I’ve done:

The shutter on the DVX100 can be changed in very fine amounts. I have used 1/30th and 1/42nd shutter to get a half stop more light without significantly blurring the picture. Speaking about motion, that camera has better low-light performance in 60i mode, than it does in 24p or 30p. Make sure to use good ‘ol 60i for a better nite-time picture. The color balance is also adjustable without re-whitebalancing. A few flicks in the menu toward a cooler tone should help.

At the root level, cameras need light. If the picture quality is going downhill then getting creative with lighting the event may be your best bet.

Happy shooting,

andrew @ videomaker

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap