dvi digital video cable

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello all. Is there an optimumor recommendedlength fora dvi cable (monitor to PC)? Is it OK to go for longer than 6.5 feet (my current cable length)?

Participant

I do not see why not, it is just a video signal, kind of like cable TV.

There may be some latency issues but for general monitor viewing, shouldn’t be an issue. In production, when running long cables, more than 100 feet, from camera to feed a recorder, burner or projector, I often insert a DA (distribution amplifier) and in some mission critical situations there might be some signal degradation over extended cabling, but as Charles said: “I don’t see why not.”

There were/are limitations such as if/when daisy chaining, like the older SCSI connectors, where you could exceed the recommended length and suffer from it; and the new connectors, as well as some other situations, like the Thunderbolt, have specific lengths and end-connection requirements, such as putting a monitor with only one Thunderbolt connection at the end of the chain.

Again, pretty much what Charles said.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap