DVD Printer Dilemma

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m looking to buy an inexpensive printer that prints onto DVD’s. I don’t print a lot, so speed isn’t as critical for me. Quality should be good, but doesn’t have to be perfect. I’m thinking about the HP C5280, but I’ve seen wildly different reviews. I know most recommend the Epsons, but I’ve had issues with my RX595 clogging and can’t afford the ink (I’m actually waiting on a replacement from Epson). I’ve read that the Pixma’s are good, but given my experience with Epson am not crazy about internal printheads. Does anyone have any long-term experience with HP or any suggestions as to another DVD capable printer?

Inactive

Alukahn,

I have been using an Epson R220 for over a year now and I am happy with it. The photo printing (Paper) is far from high res but it’s not bad either. The images you get on the disc are great though. It all depends on how clear your source image is but it will give you a true copy of your image. The software that comes with it (Epson Print CD) is kind of basic but it imports photos and can add text, shapes andbackgrounds. I am sure there is better software but this has done the job so far. Two things about Epson from my research that may help you;I have heard that you should not turn the printer off. Every time you turn it back on it cycles through the ink and eats up a bit resulting in frequent cartridge replacement. I have also read that it has a built in expiration date of 2 years. No matter how well it is performing, once you hit the two year mark it shuts down. If you go to http://weddingvideodoneright.com/index.php/weddding_videographer_forums and do a forum search for Epson Printers you will see both the issue and the solution to it. I have not had to use the solution because I am at about month 13 so I can not verify if it works. Regardless, I paid about 80 bucks for the printer and I would by another Epson if this one died tomorrow. I would bump it up to an all in one but I would definitely get one that prints to CD’s & DVD’s. Also, I use a protection sprayhttp://cddvdguard.com/index.htm once the ink has dried to keep it from smudging. It seems to work well but I havent purposely tried to smudge them. I hope this helps you.Cole

Inactive

Cole,

Thanks for the insight. I’ll have to try your suggestions when my replacement printer arrives. I only wish the Epson ink wasn’t so expensive. When I looked for replacement cartridges before my print nozzles died, I saw the cost to replace all of the T078 cartridges ranged from 50-70 dollars. I guess the problem is that I’m used being able to refill the printer cartridges.

Inactive

Not a problem. I have heard the aftermarket ink for epson isn’t bad. I have not tried it but I feel I will soon. The site that was mentioned was http://www.Supermediastore.com . I read about it on that same forum, just search for epson ink and you will find the thread. They admit it doesn’t last quite as long but the price still makes it worth it. Good luck.

Cole

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap