DVD Logo

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Does any one know where I can find a DVD logo to add to my DVD’S ??

Participant
      Inactive

I found a larger image and applied enhancements. rip it πŸ™‚

Participant

πŸ˜• So…you must add this to all of your DVDs? Is it as important as "Copyright So-and-So"?

Where is this available as a transparent .gif?

Participant

It is illegal to use the DVD logo without a license. If you are making birthday videos for your family, you probably do not have to worry. If you are selling DVDs and want to use the DVD logo, read the info on this site: http://www.dvdfllc.co.jp/logo/lg_nature.html

Inactive

Yep.
      And you can’t even pull a microsoft, and copy it, change it slightly, and call it "BVD" ’cause that wold be somebodies underwear…

Inactive

Having read the FAQ on this, it looks like if you make a dvd on a dvd-r at home, and you don’t have the license you can’t put the DVD logo on your home made dvd.

But, if you make a dvd at home, and then have a company duplicate the dvd for you, and they have a license, you can put the dvd logo on it.

This seems like one good reason to go to a duplication company, rather then try and burn 1,000 dvds at home.

BTW

The logo is not required. It has nothing to do with copywrite issues.

The dvd logo is also just a logo to tell people that the dvd meets specs and has been verified according to some standard. You could put your own logo that says: "DVD compatible" or something and even make it slightly similar. Seems possible that whoever you are selling it to, might not care if it has that nifty trademarked DVD logo on it.

I have some dvds from Europe, small indie films, etc, that don’t have that logo–yet they work fine. No one cares because the niche content is so small….

Participant

I know it has been a year ago since someone posted here, but I had a question on the DVD logo as well and found this thread.

I created my own logo to use on my DVDsDVD

Participant

Also note it is Illegal to put the DVD logo on a DVD-r or burned disc. You need a DVD-R logo. The DVD logo is a trademark.

..oops just saw this is mentioned above. lol

Participant

How can DVD be a trademark? If that is true, how do companies get away with putting DVD Player on boxes?
      DVDs that pertain to movies and video production is defined as “Digital Versatile Disc” or “Digital Video Disc”

If I have a business that the initials are DVD (Dalton’s Vitamin Drink) how can that be a trademark infringement.

The only way I see it to be a TM infringement is if someone copies the black DVD logo that is in the post above.

Participant

The DVD Logo

The DVD Logo is a mark that symbolizes the legitimacy and better compliance of the DVD product. When used correctly, it shows that the product was manufactured by a Licensee (legitimacy) and that the product passed the Verification test (better compliance).

Legitimacy

Only companies that signed the DVD Format/Logo License Agreement and became Licensees are permitted to use the Format Specifications and the Logo for their products. The Logo is a Trademark owned by DVD FLLC, which only the Licensor (DVD FLLC) may authorize its use. If a non-Licensee uses the Logo for their products, that company is violating the Trademark Laws, which in turn make their products pirated-goods.

Better Compliance

There is one Test Specification for each of the Product Category of DVD products, which are allowed to carry the Logo. A Test Spec sets the minimum common requirements a product must pass for better compatibility.

Let us say that a disc has the Logo for DVD Video on it. This means that the disc may be reproduced on a player that also carries the DVD Video Logo. Likewise, a disc marked with DVD-RAM Logo is meant to be used for players/recorders with DVD-RAM Logo, and a disc marked with DVD-R Logo is playable/recordable on players with DVD-R Logo.

This could only be true if the Logo was put on the product as a result of the Verification. The Verification tests required-degree of conformity of the product to the Format Specifications on which it was based, according to the Test Specification. Therefore, a disc that has been verified is better compatible with a hardware that passed verification of the same Format and bears the same Logo. The use of the Logo is strongly recommended to show that the product has passed the Verification requirements. All First Production models of products need to be taken to Class A Verification Labs for verifications.

Correct Usage
      DVD Logos are not marketing logos

The Logo authenticates the product as being legitimate and better Format compliant. It means that the only Logo that may appear on a product is the Logo of the Format used to manufacture the item. For example, it would be wrong to use the DVD Video Logo on a DVD-R disc that was authored to include visual material.

Since the Logo characterizes the Format of the product, it may not be used for name cards, websites, on wallpaper of the PC etc., even by a Licensee. Also, when using the Logo for advertisements and pamphlets, only the Logo pertaining specifically to the product that is being advertised may be used. (When advertising for DVD video player, use DVD Video Logo, for DVD-R disc, DVD-R Logo, and so on).

If you are an advertisement company making ads for Licensees, please ask the Licensee for clean proof of the Logo. Each Licensee has been given the DVD Logo Manual, which describes the proper usage of the Logos, as well as clean proof of the Logo that shows the correct dimensions.

New Logos

DVD is a growing, expanding media, which is constantly moving to include newer and better ideas. This means that the Logo must grow and expand as well. Since November 1999, we have introduced new application Logos. Formerly, the disc-shaped ovals below the stylised DVD characters contained words to indicate the Format of the product; now, the words appear either under the disc or beside the Logo.

Participant

Thank you for the detailed explination, now it all makes sense to me.

Things have to be complicated don’t they πŸ™‚

Donnie

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap