DVD Burning Problems – Need Help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m having problems burning 2 hours of video to a DVD. As far as I know, I’m supposed to be able to burn 2 hours at standerd quality settings. But for some reason, a 2 hour DVD ready MPG2 file is over 5GBs and I have to recompress it to 4.5Mbps in DVD Architect. I am able to burn discs error free with these settings, but the video looks highly compressed on my TV. And after the 1 hour mark, I start to experience skipping problems on my DVD player and eventually, the whole player freezes up at about the 1 hour 45 minute mark. Any ideas of why this is happening? Is the video just compressed too much? I was able to burn the movie to a Memorex DVD+RW and +R disc and play with no problems, but when burning to the Memorex DVD+R printable discs and RiData DVD-R printable discs, I experience the skipping/freezing problems. Could it just be my DVD player? It is an Apex DVD player that we bought from Wal-Mart about a year ago. and I am burning my discs on a Lite-On LDW-411S with the latest firmware upgrade. Any tips or ideas would be very helpful.

Participant

If you use Digital Dolby AC3 audio, you should be able to put 2 hours of video on a DVD. I do it all the time using a Panasonic DMR-E100 DVD recorder. It also uses Variable Bit Rate encoding. I use the 2 hour speed 95% of the time and the results are excellent. I have had no skipping/freezing problems with any of the various DVD-R brands that I have used.

If you are using PCM audio, you won’t be able to get 2 hours on a 4.7GB disc.

Dave

Inactive

I’m a newbie at this stuff and having similar related problems. I’ve been using Ulead Movie Factory 2 SE to attempt to create a DVD of some video recorded with my WinTV PVR 250 and Beyond TV 3. Ulead says I have approx 2.5G of video after making extracts on a 6.7G mpg source file. However, when I attempt to attempt to burn the DVD, it creates a set of VOB files totaling to approx 5.7G which will not fit on a single DVD. I tried then using DVD Shrink but ended up with a DVD with significantly reduced quality than my original recording.

You mention using AC3 for the audio. Is there a way to do this using my Ulead software or do I need a different authoring software to be able to do this? If so, could you recommend a couple of moderately priced packages I might look at? Specifically, do you have any feelings re: Ulead Movie Factory 3.5, WinDVD Creator, Pinnacle, or DVDLab?

Thanks.

I have two APEX DVD players, I got at Wal-Mart for $58., sitting on the shelf collecting dust. They both worked fine for about 6 months. After that they just wouldn’t work. I’d put in a DVD and it would tell me “no disc” or “loading” – but they just wouldn’t play. I put a music CD in one of them and it played OK. Then I played a James Bond DVD after that OK. That’s the last thing it ever played.

Inactive

While it could be your dvd player, one of the symptoms you described the disc freezing at the 1:45 mark is something I ran into recently. I made 4 different disc and in each case the disc would play great for 75 minutes then freeze up. Turns out my burner was in the process of kicking the bucket; once I replaced it the problem went away. Now 4 months later my player is going — it will play anything I burn and older commercial stuff, but has given me a disc is dirty error on every disc of the last 4 box sets I purchased, all of which were released in the last 2 months. If its not one thing its another .. LOL!

You could also be having media-compatibility problems. While RiData has a great reputation, some of Memorexs media is pretty cheap and should be avoided. Go to http://www.videohelp.com and look under the Lists sections left column for media, players, and burners; lots of info including compatibility and reliability. I have a thermal printer and use Verbatim R media; out of the 1K or so disc Ive burned in the last year I can only recall one disc being bad out of the box, er, off the spindle.

I agree with DaveC in that you should be able to put 2 hours of video on single layer dvd. Before I found about DVD Shrink I was routinely burning 120-140 minute features using nothing but DVD Architect. I use Vegas for capturing/rendering and Sound Forge for tweaking the audio. The audio for all my projects is setup using 5.1 surround sound and rendered at 48K; all files coming out of Sound Forge are 48K, 16-bit PCM sorry DaveC, but you can fit more than 2 hours on a single-layer disc using PCM audio!!

As far as DVD Architect goes, I occasionally ran into problems with it when using it for burning purpose. While I still use DVDA for disc setup/preparation I use Nero for burning definitely has cut down on the coaster production.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap