DVD Burner Question

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am looking for a DVD burner with good compatability. I get complaints that DVDs recorded on my Sony RDRGX7 don’t play on some players. I need a recorder that will record from my DV VCR or camcorder through firewire or S Video cable.
      Also, are there any that burn more than one DVD at a time, and/or record at high speed?
      Any input is GREATLY appreciated!

Participant

cfulton Wrote:

I’d suspect that the problem is with your client’s players that have either older firmware or optical systems that don’t like burned discs. (So the people who can’t play your discs now would probably still have trouble playing the discs you’d burn with a new drive, even if you used different software. Or since you’re talking about set-top recorders, even a completely different recorder would probably give you similarly disappointing results on these old players.) Thankfully, though, new DVD players are dirt-cheap. (And if it’s any consolation, my old reliable set-top player that I’ve had for a couple of years vehemently dislikes dual-layer DVD+R discs that I burn which I try to watch with it… so I’m about to start researching for a new DVD player.)
      I’m not aware of any set-top recorders that can burn multiple discs at once. However, some units with hard drives can perform high-speed burns of content that is recorded onto the hard drive (but, of course, by definition, you could only burn programs that are being captured live in real-time.)

Thanks for the reply! That is what I kinda thought. However, I do have a Casablanca Prestige with built in burner. Whenever someone complains that my Sony burnt discs won’t play for them, I burn one on the Prestige and without fail it plays! The Prestige takes a lot more time to make a DVD though. I have to record the video into the Prestige, then get it into the Arabesk software, then record it out onto a DVD.
      Thanks again.

Participant

The other issue is the type of media you are using. For instance, DVD+Rs (I’ve found) are less compatible than DVD-Rs. So first, make sure you use the right media.

Participant

That I haven’t found to be the case. Usually, if a player will handle one format, it will easily handle the other.

I have a DVD player that will play DVD-r but not DVD+r. I have also had clients tell me the DVD+R would not play in their player and worked fine when I replaced them with DVD-Rs. I don’t dispute that you haven’t encountered this issue but I have more than once so I know it happens.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

That I haven’t found to be the case. Usually, if a player will handle one format, it will easily handle the other.

I have a DVD player that will play DVD-r but not DVD+r. I have also had clients tell me the DVD+R would not play in their player and worked fine when I replaced them with DVD-Rs. I don’t dispute that you haven’t encountered this issue but I have more than once so I know it happens.

Thank you for the reply! I record only in DVD-R, at least so far! πŸ˜€

Participant

I have a similar request. I purchased an Edirol NLE at your VideoMaker Expo in New Jersey last month and I am looking for an external DVD burner that has simple menu creation capability. The material is for broadcast on our local cable public access channel and maximum image quality is essential.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap