dvd architect/menus

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I need some help with setting up menus. After I have completed my project I would like to set up a template/image without buttons. So when the DVD is loaded a stillimagefills the screenuntil play is pressed…then the actual DVD begins.

Also I’ve noticed the buttons (which I can’t get rid off) automatically show the firstimage/frame of the project inside the button/frame. Is it possible tochange that image?

Thanks Steve

Inactive

After an hour of trying various solutions, I have to say there appears to be no way to start on your image then jump to the video when play is pressed. The reason appears to be that “play” acts only on the current selection. So all it does it “play” the opening image (or splash) because that’s what selected. Without a menu, you can set it up to play your video after however long you preset the time, but you can’t have it wait until

Inactive

My cat stepped on the “enter” key while I was writing my post. But when I finished using the “edit” option, it says I can’t edit the damn thing. So here’s the actual, complete post.

After an hour of trying various solutions, I have to say there appears to be no way to start on your image then jump to the video when play is pressed. The reason appears to be that “play” acts only on the current selection. So all it does it “play” the opening image (or splash) because that’s what selected. Without a menu, you can set it up to play your video after however long you preset the time, but you can’t have it wait until “play” is pressed.

Now if you’ll settle for opening on your splash image and waiting until the “enter” button (instead of “play”) is pushed, it’s a piece of cake do do exactly what you want. Now on my cheap, set-top DVD player, “enter” is the same button as “play” so to the layperson they would be pressing play. But I can’t say that’s the case on every DVD remote. But anyway, here’s what I’d do.

Start a new project and insert a menu. The menu page will appear with whatever you have set as your default background. Select the menu page you just created then go to the right side menu (it should say “menu page properties” at the top.) Highlight or select “background media” and the box below have several options for customizing the menu’s appearance. The first option is “video” so select it, then click on the right side button. It will be the location of the background image on your computer, but on the far right side of it will be an arrow that indicates a drop-down menu. Click on the arrow and the menu drops down, select “replace . . . ” and you will get file open menu. Use that to select your splash image and click “open” then your splash image becomes the menu background.

You already know how to add your video to the menu because that’s when the buttons appear. Just click on the button on the menu page and the right side becomes “button properties” with a bunch of options. Select the “media” button and in the box below you will see several options. Selecting “button style” (the top option) then open the drop-down menu. You’ll find three options, “text only” “image only” and “image & text” You’ll want to select “text only” and the button will change to show only the video’s file name. Now edit the button name (press F2) and just delete any text and click somewhere else on the menu page. The menu button will now say “no text” Now on the “button properties” menu select “highlight” then click on “style. There are a number of options, but you want to use “text mask overlay” and you are done! Just push “ctrl F9” to preview the disc and all you’ll see is the menu background image, your splash graphic. Clicking on pretty much all the “remote control” buttons, you’ll just get the little circle with a slash. But clicking on “enter” will start your video. At the end of your video, you’ll be returned to the menu page with nothing but your background.

I hope you’ve been able to follow along.

You also asked about getting the image on the button to be something other than the first frame of the video. Just as before, we need to select our button so the “button properties” menu in on the right side. Again, select “”media” and as long as we have the image listed on the “style” the “thumbnail properties” won’t be grayed out. Select “start time” which defaults to “00:00:00:00” and you can enter the exact frame location the thumbnail will display by entering that frame location. Remember, the software expects the value to be hours:minutes:seconds:frames, but you can also click on the drop-down button and a line will appear with a pointer on it (the little square box.) You can move the pointer to anywhere on that timeline and that will be the frame displayed on the menu. Below the “start time” is “style” which switches between “static” and “animated” If you select “animated” when the menu is previewed, the image will play from the the “start time” for however long you have set for “menu length” under the “general” button in “menu properties”

So that is how to select your desired location for the thumbnail and the basics of creating animated menus.

As you get more familiar with DVD Architect, you’ll find it can easily create menus that rival Hollywood releases. So good luck & have fun.

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap