dvd architect not seeing DVD-R-DL

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

It used to work fine, im using riteck DVD-R-DLs with my Pioneere dvr-111d and ive never had any problem ever with these blanks, but not just like over night, dvd A has decided to see them as CD-Rs insted. Nero sees them fine, and windows even tells me they are DVD-Rs i have no idea what happened, i didnt install anything new, nor did i change anything. Also the same thing happens on a diffren system, but that one i just recently installed DVD A on, so i have no knowlage if its ever worked on that one. I even went to the extreme of reinstalling windows on a diffrent drive, no good, reset bios, no good, updated drivers, firmware, switched IDE cables, nothing has helped, im at a loss.

Inactive

If it used to work, but doesn’t, and you haven’t changed anything, then either:

1 – You have a bad batch of DVD’s. Buy new ones, possibly from another brand.

-or-

2 – Someone else changed a computer setting. Find out who and ask what they did.

-or-

3 – You have a virus that’s changing something. Download up-to-date virus software and use it.

-or-

4 – The DVD drive has had a firmware/hardware malfunction. Replace the DVD drive.

-or-

5 – The hardware on your motherboard and/or in the processor has gone bad. Replace them.

-or-

6 – Demons have posessed your PC. Trash it and buy a new one altogether πŸ™‚

-or-

7. Something very complicated has gone wrong. Take your computer to a qualified technician and make HIM fix it for you.

There are a few ideas to think about. I just about guarantee that one of those suggestions will work for you. If not, I come equipped with a full moneyback refund πŸ™‚

Participant

unfortunatly ive ruled out everything but #6 and #5 i have a new motherboard on its way should be here the end of the week, Ive tried two diffrent sets of media, ive tried replaceing the drive, the drive had firmware 1.19 so i updated it to 1.23 no help. im really doing with #6

it really bugs me cause its only with dual layer media i just dont get it

Inactive

squeeks,

Are you saying that when you put a DL DVD in your drive, Nero sees it as a DL DVD but DVD Architect is seing it as a CD?

Boy… I’m thinking that it has something to do with Architect all of a sudden. There could be a conflict going on or something may have gotten corrupted. You are up to date with all of the windows updates, driver updates and program updates… right?

In Nero I know you have to manually call out what type of disk you’re using. DVD or CD…. is there a chance that you have a CD called out accidently in Architect? Also do you have more than one optical drive installed?

I guess I’m not sure that a new MoBo will fix this just like that. Especially if you’re saying that Nero see the disk as a DL DVD and Windows sees it as a DVD too.

Hummmm… Let us know how this ends. With PC’s you just never know what causes stuff like this to happen.

RAM

Inactive

Ah, I forgot one!

8 – Automatic updates

I know Windows has automatic updates, as do many other software programs anymore. Perhaps an automatic update took place that messed with a config file on your computer. Like RAM said, if you can see it as a DL DVD in some programs, then the problem is almost certainly software/firmware related.

I know you don’t believe you or anyone else changed anything on your computer, but is it possible that software was changed, either on it’s own, or through other means (e.g. virus)

Participant

Here’s an idea:
      I bought my computer for editing only and goes online for updates only. I have 2 other computers to go online with.

Inactive

Change out the drive cables. If all the above fail to fix it, take it to church and leave it there.

Inactive

KBVP,

I think he tried that once. Although, if he swapped them with cables that were lying around the house, they may have been bad. Then again, the mystery is that some programs do see the disc, just not the one he uses. It sounds a lot like a software issue.

Presonally, I think at this point, the best advice would be to baptize this computer and seee if that helps. You can’t resort to just a sprinkiling either. You’re going to need a full-blown emersion. Find a good Southern Baptist Church and add your computer to their roster. They’ll take care of ya πŸ˜€

But seriously, you’ve got a tricky situation. I have no clue what the answer may be.

Inactive

The detection of the format being the main issue, I suspect that the drive isn’t getting the laser lens into the correct angle and position close to the hub. This could be software/hardware or dirt on the lens. Put lens cleaner in and see if that works. Nero should have a utility for testing the drive- see what happens.
      Bottom line, the drive needs to read the disc in order to determine the format: CDR, CDRW, DVD5+/-R /RW, DVD9, etc. It might have the above read error and default to CDR.
      Good luck!

Participant

so i downloaded a demo of Encore, and that keeps telling me the media is incompatible as well, yet it will burn dvd-R-DLs perfectly from Nero.

Its not like I burn dual layer disks from DVD A all the time, i just need to burn one… its a video of our trip to alaska, and its 2 hours long and takes up 5.8gb so i need to use a DL disk, *sigh* oh well. maybe creating a dvd folder from encore i can burn with nero.

and its funny you mention it, i do attend a southern baptist church.

not saying my computer there dosent freak out sometimes as well.

Inactive

Encore does not currently support DVD-R DL.

1 thing you could try is to make a DVD folder or image on your hard drive from DVD-A, then burn that image with Nero.

Participant

yeah you would think that would work, but i tried it twice, and both times it didnt work. the folder is the right size, but it looks like only part of the disk got burnt. even though nero will burn older dual layer folders i have perfectly.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap