DVD Architect 4.5

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

When I add a video file to a DVD architect project, the file size automatically increases. I can not understand why? The file I am adding to my project is 2.8 gb, however when i add it to the project in DVD architect it suddenly increases to 4.2 gb? It is the only file I have added to my project. The problem is I can not add the audio file to create my DVD.

I tried using the, fit to disc option but the result is severe loss of visual quality. It is undeliverable to my client. Please help.

Participant

Hi Rex –

Not speaking directly to your problem but Sony is offering all registered users of DVDA 4.5 a free (yes really free) upgrade to version 5.0.

It might help your problem – I’d try this as a first step.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/news/article.asp?articleid=57&keycode=3514

Inactive

what file are you adding to the project? Render your video files from Vegas using the templates rendering a mpg file and ac3 file. Be sure to name them the same. If you rendered a mpg and ac3 audio file for the dvd, when you add the video file to dvda, the ac3 is automatically loaded with it, which is why you may see a larger file size. Be sure to use a bitrate calculator to determine the highest bit rate you can use to fill the dvd at best quality.

The latest version of DVDA is 5.0b

John

Participant

Thanks guys!!!

Participant

Ok, So I figured out that when I rendered my video as Mpeg-2 I need to compress my Audio as AC-3 instead of PCM. It must be that PCM doesn’t compress the studio and that was causing my file sizes to jump in size and Architect would automatically Compress my video to fit both files during the burn process resulting in lower quality video yet higher quality sound.

So now I have a new question. I am shooting using a Canon HF 200 on FXP setting at 1080 (1920×1080) at 24fps. I am using Sony Vegas Pro 9 to edit and render. When I render to Mpeg-2 and burn my DVD with Architect, the high picture quality is lost!? What can I do? On what settings should I render my project to achieve a desirable quality DVD. I’ve seen that Birdcat suggests NewBlue upshift, but for right now is there another way? Also, all my files are in mts format while editing. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Participant

What do you mean DVD Quality??? Explain

Participant

When I render my HD footage to Mpeg-2 and burn it to DVD the image appears slightly “smeared” or blurry. However, back when I used to use footage from my old DV camera the picture quality on DVD looked sharper.Why does my HD footage look like someone smudged my lens when I transfer it to DVD? I am viewing the dvd on a HDTV with an upconverting dvd player. But this doesn’t explain why my older movies shot on standard definition equipment look better on the same tv than my HD footage.

DVD is still a very common medium to distribute my work. So I want to know how to maximize the picture quality for that medium. I hope that helps explain what I mean.

Inactive

again, I have to go back to settings…. what format did you shoot in? are the project properties the same? if it was interlaced and you are trying to render progressive, what deinterlacing method are you using when you render? It sounds like you have selected or have failed to select the proper deinterlacing method. Please post the following information:

1. What are your project properties?

2. What template are you using when you render?

Participant

You also may want to up your bitrate – Use a bitrate calculator to get the best possible quality from your project.

http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm

Participant

Somewhere along the way you are doing something like the rest said. Double check all your settings it should not come out blurry at all. You did not by chance change a setting by accident on your camera. I did this once with my Sony FX- 1 it has these film setting that can make my vids look diffrent

Participant

I know I might sound stupid but have some grace on me. I set
      my camera (Canon HF200 vixia) to shoot at 1920×1080 at 24 fps. I believe
      the camera captures interlaced footage. I am having a hard time finding weather it captures interlace or progressive. If you guys know please clue me in.

My project properties video tab setting are:

template – HD 1080-24p (1920×1080, 23.976 fps)

Width – 1,920 field order – none (progressive
      scan)

Length – 1,080 pixel aspect ratio – 1.000 square

Output rotation – 0 (original)

Frame rate – 23.976 IVTC Film

Pixel Format – 8 bit

Composting gamma – 2.222

Full resolution rendering quality – Best

Motion Blur – Gaussian

Deinterlace method – Interpolate Fields

I DO NOT have the next two boxes checked for adjusting source media
      to better match project or render settings

Does this help? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for taking the time to
      help me out.

Right off the bat I’m seeing you trying to put an HD format video on a SD DVD disc. If you want to burn a Blu-Ray those settings should be fine. You first need to down-convert your movie to 16:9 SD MPEG2 (720×480) or 4:3 Letterbox to get the full frame visible on standard TV’s. You can still do 23.976 framerate and 8 bit. If you are using Progressive scan, you don’t need ‘Deinterlacing’.

Participant

I render the project from those settings in sony vegas pro to mpeg2 format (ntsc dv 24p widescreen (720×480, 23.976 fps) But when I burn to disc the picture loses quite a bit of clarity. It loses more clairty then it should. I can’t figure out why. Burning to Blu-ray is not an option right now but will be in a few months, too long for a client to wait.

Let me ask this, If any of you were going to render hd footage for sd dvd how would you do it? What settings would you use. Or, what would you do and in what order would you do it? I am pretty new to this process so explain it to me like I am an idiot. I am completely lost. Thank you for helping me out.

Rex,

When you down-convert from HD to SD you’re going to lose ‘picture clarity’. However, you do get an SD movie that looks better than if shot by a standard def camera.

Far as what you would do going from HD to SD, do all of your edits, compositing, transitions and color correction in HD. Burn the project as an HD mpeg2 and then start a new project with HD settings. Import the movie you burned into the new project and then bring it into the timeline and export it as an SD 720×480 mpeg2. Depending on how much other stuff you want to put on the DVD (menus and other stuff) you’ll need to adjust the data rate of the mpeg2 export settings so there will be enough room on the DVD for the other content.

No, you are not an ‘idiot’. Just uninformed. Bottom line, if you want full HD imagery in your film you’ll have to burn it to Blu-Ray. Otherwise, you’ll have to downconvert to SD. I feel your pain on the quality loss from HD to SD. However, if your viewers weren’t in the editing bay with you to see the original HD footage, I doubt they’ll sweat you about ‘Dude, that just doesn’t have the same quality as HD, cha?’ Best way to figure out how this stuff works is work with it.

Participant

Hi Rex –

I do this all the time – My DVD player uprez’s 16:9 DVD to decent looking widescreen video – Here’s what I do:

In Vegas, I render out using this setting: http://birdcat.com/7squared/vegwide1.jpg

In DVDA, I burn using this: http://birdcat.com/7squared/dvdawide.jpg

Inactive

Hi Rex,

As Composite 1 noted don’t punish yourself with the “idiot” self talk. I think we can safely assume we’ve all been there, done that before (I mean who doesn’t know what it’s like not to understand every facet of gear, software, etc).

Hey, I’ve been editing HD multi-cam and single cam projects for nearly 3 years now with Vegas and here’s a few tricks for you.

1) There is this nifty little spec’s match tab with in Vegas Project Properties. Get into Project Properties and look for the folder icon with in the right side of the dialog box. This is the Match Media Settings tab with in Vegas. This takes a good portion of the thinking out of the specs and allows Vegas to point to one of your media files to use as a reference for matching the specifications.

2) I edit all of my projects (unless noted by the consumer to do otherwise) in HD. I then render out of Vegas into SD from my HD source material. Typically the Vegas MPEG-2 and AC3 render templete’s are more than sufficient for this. I would take the time to make sure you tell Vegas to render at the highest quality and to double check any other settings which are important to your project.

3) Now that you have rendered SD MPEG-2 and AC-3 files you can then plug them into DVD Arch to complete the project. Make sure you check the Optimize and Project Properties with in DVD Arch to maximize your quality settings. Although it seems intuitive that DVD Arch will, for example, create 24p material correctly, I have noted that I sometimes have to tell it to do so.

My experience tells me that if your source material is HD and your render out of Vegas to SD and then plug into DVD Arch with these renders you should be pleased with the results. Also, as Composite 1 noted although you notice the difference in the video quality your clients may be impressed with how well the SD material looks on their end.

Inactive

Hey, one other note: I used to have problems pre-viewing SD DVD projects created from source HD material on up converting DVD players. I discovered after a few horendously anxious dead line moments that these DVD players some times pixilate and/or smear the video. On the two upconverting DVD players I had there was a “sharpness” slider which when pushed towards the high end would actually distort SD DVD playback. A quiick way to check this is to play back a commerical DVD through the DVD player to see if similar problems occurred.

Participant

“Bottom line, if you want full HD imagery in your film you’ll have to burn it to Blu-Ray. Otherwise, you’ll have to downconvert to SD”

I only agree this is the case if the client wants a physical medium. I have clients that just want a digitally delivered product so I send them a HD WMV file or HD H.264 file (whatever they want). Seems they are using the video in a program such as ProPresenter or similar so they do not need or even want a physical disc. SoI get full HD results without any sacrifice of quality and they get a file they can play.

Participant

Thanks guys. I am going to try your suggestions and tips right now and I’ll let you know how it goes. again thank you for helping me out.

You’re correct about the H.264 file and that is a valid alternative. However, Rex specified he wanted to burn to DVD.

Participant

Wow, thanks guys. I clicked the folder icon like you said and found out that even thought my camera says it can capture at 24fps, it just creates the effect of 24fps and actually captures at 1920×1080 60i. That made a difference because some of the shots looked choppy.I was trying to render the project at 24fps. And I rendered with birdcat’s suggested settings.

I also checked the match render settings to file capture settings and that seemed to help to. The pictures clarity has improved some, but I can still tell it is not were it should be. I am not expecting HD quality from a SD DVD. Still have a few more of your suggestions to try. I let you know how it turns out. Thank you guys so much for helping me learn and work through this.

210pe – The H.264 or HD WMV option sounds like an interesting route for clients. Most of the clients I deal with haven’t requested that, so do you suggest it to them? If so, how?

Inactive

Hi guys. Iwant to ask a question about bluray. I have a panasonic hdc sd60 camcorder. It films 1920x 1080p. When i transfer my footage to my hard drive it becomes m2ts file which is ok. I edit it in premiere pro cs3. We’re only talking 10 seconds long. I have also tried it in sony vegas platinum hd. I have tried numerous settings including mainconcept h264. I have an lg bluray burner. I burn it to bluray. My pc isn’t powerful enough to play back bluray so i playit back on my bluray player through my tv. Picture quality isperfect but any movement like say someone walking past or a car driving by it is very choppy,not smooth at all. If i play the footage from my camera directly through via hdmi lead the footage is perfectly smooth. I have been editing video on my comp for about ten years. I am new to hd footage. Am i doing something wrong. I would be very greatefull for any help.Thanks.

Participant

In response to Rex's second question, I have had the same difficullty and am still looking for solutions. I know it is possible to create beatifull standard def DVD starting with HD, even ralitively low end HD, because I have done it for years using Finalcut and DVD Studio Pro. However, I am converting to a newplatform because I started a new job and they use Vegas Movie Studio HD 11. When I first started using Finalcut I had a similar issue, the problem ended up being that the render engine built into Finalcut didn't handle down conversin well. I solved this issue by exporting in the native format, HDV, or Proress 422 (depending on the camera), and letting DVD Studio Pro handel the downconversion. Has anyone tried something similar with Vegas? If so what kind of results did you get?

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap