DVC20 or FX7

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Okay Guys I am being given a small budget to work with to purchase a camcorder. I will be frequently shooting in low-light/indoor settings (such as dimmed churches and nightclubs). HD is not important right now, but may be a nice feature to have available in the next couple years (as budgets increase). I have previously used a vx2100 and was very pleased with its low light capabilities.

I was looking at the Panasonic DVC20 because it was cheap and has 1 lux rating, but I have not seen 1 piece of footage from this camera that was impressive. On the other hand, I was looking at the Sony fx7, but it only has a 4 lux rating and has mixed reviews/comparisons to the 2100.

I have been impressed with the fx7 footage I have seen, but I haven’t seen any really good low light tests. The DVC20 footage I have seen is pretty average.

Participant

The camera I decided on because I do ALOT of low light stuff also was the Sony DSR-PD170
      The PD170 impressed me for its low light capabilities, see this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2NR8cA6r4w

I know it wasn’t one of the two you listed, but i thought i’d throw it in as a suggestion since you are looking for a good low light cam. There are also many more videos showing its low light capabilities on youtube.

Participant

I was actually looking at the fx1000 if I was going to be given 3K to spend, but right now I am thinking I will only get 2k at most.

I know the pd170 is discontinued though, where is a good place to get a solid used one? (maybe it’ll be in the 2K range)

Participant

Going to be ordering mine from E-Bay, can get some decent used ones there with low hours for around $1800 so under $2k. Most have numerous pictures and you can see the condition of camera as well as Time on the drum/threading/etc.

A lot of them also have extras like the big battery packs or a case, so not a bad deal for a used one.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap