Dust Spots in Image

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Brian, thanks for your reply. I believe you may have found the culprit. I spoke to a Panasonic service center today and they speculated that the lens, and not the CCD, was the likely source of the irritation. In any event, I am sending the camera to them to determine the real cause. When I get their verdict I’ll be certain to post it for everyone’s benefit.

Participant

I have a brand new Panasonic SDR-H18 video camcorder. It has a 30 meg hard drive and works like a charm. However, the images have several soft spots in them. It appears as if dust is sitting on the ccd. I know that is a common problem with digital SLR’s because of their open bodies. I did not think it would be a problem with a sealed camcorder. I have checked the lens, it is spotless. I have also been certain that no glare is reaching the lens surface. The soft spots always appear at the same location in the image. Has anyone had the same experience? My thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Inactive

I haven’t had this problem, but would exchange it as soon as possible…if you still can. There are more important problems with which to waste your time. πŸ˜‰

Best Regards,

Corey

Participant

Cory, thanks for your response. Yes, I do intend to have Panasonic replace the camera. However, my real concern is regarding the problem itself. If dust can get on the CCD of a sealed camcorder we really have no choice but to send it in for repair – not something I would look forward to doing. When my digital SLR has dust on the sensor I can clean it. That was the reason for my question as I am new to digital camcorder’s and I just want to know if it is a prevalent problem with them.

I certainly would appreciate comments from anyone regarding this problem, if in fact it is one.

Again, my thanks in advance for your help.

Inactive

Mr B,
      Just a thought…. have you verified that the problem is with the CCDs, not the camcorders LCD display? Are the spots still there when you upload the video to your computer and view it on the computer?
      Also, the spots are dark, not light, right?
      πŸ˜•
      Ken Hull

Participant

Ken, thanks for your response. Actually the spots are on the finished video; that’s why I believe it is dust on the CCD. The spots are soft, light and out of focus spots that always appear in the exact same place in the video.

Participant

I had this problem a while back when bringing my camcorder up in a plane. The change in altitude created a permanent air bubble in the lens.

I dive so I had access to a decompression chamber to see if it would eliminate the bubble. No luck.

Send it in for repair while still under warranty.

Brian Alves
      thedvshow.com

Inactive

you could solve this digitally I’ve actually been studying about this. The process of clearing dust that was imprinted on the footage is call dust busting. I use a program call shake and it paint tool using the duplicating brush and carefully paint out the area, and you have to do it frame by frame. This is one of the most boring job to start out with as a Vfx artist, so is rotoscoping.

Inactive

tritrinh Wrote:

you could solve this digitally I’ve actually been studying about this. The process of clearing dust that was imprinted on the footage is call dust busting. I use a program call shake and it paint tool using the duplicating brush and carefully paint out the area, and you have to do it frame by frame. This is one of the most boring job to start out with as a Vfx artist, so is rotoscoping.

If the ‘dust’ or other particles don’t move, you can shoot a long exposure of the lens cap or short exposure of lit white board and create a compensation mask…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap