duplicating 1100 SVCDs

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I make 30 minutes documentaries from workshop events for an institution. Before Xmas i completed 11 documentaries from 11 workshops, using Pinnacle 9.3. I burnt them to CD-r 750mb cds, in Mpeg2 format – merely 520mb each. Just when I took off for holidays, the Director phoned and ask me to make 100 copies of each documentary, that is a total of 1100 CD-R. I calculated it takes me 5 minutes to burn a CD using NERO express. In the 2 cities I frequent there isnt any DVD duplicator with multiple writers or any studio that handles mass duplication. As a desperate solution, I want to purchase 3 DVD_RW internal recorders and use a PC to create 3-bay duplicator to reduce the total time for duplication. Is that possible? how I can I configure such a PC and what software can I use?. Or is there a better solution to getting duplication faster in the absence of a standalone duplication machine?

Inactive

If it were me in this situation I would burn & fedex 11 masters and have them outsourced to a place like Proaction http://www.proactionmedia.com/cd_duplication.htm for fast duplication. This is just one place that you could go to.

They will thermal print a label on them and everything for you. I have been through this before. Save yourself a lot of drama. Especially if you are being called in at the last minute by the client and this was not a prearranged deal. You are doing the client the favor.

Also if you do end up having to do it make sure you get paid accodringly for your time and effort. How much is that time and effort worth???

Hope this helps! πŸ™‚

Have a great day! πŸ™‚

dumaru Wrote:

I make 30 minutes documentaries from workshop events for an institution. Before Xmas i completed 11 documentaries from 11 workshops, using Pinnacle 9.3. I burnt them to CD-r 750mb cds, in Mpeg2 format – merely 520mb each. Just when I took off for holidays, the Director phoned and ask me to make 100 copies of each documentary, that is a total of 1100 CD-R. I calculated it takes me 5 minutes to burn a CD using NERO express. In the 2 cities I frequent there isnt any DVD duplicator with multiple writers or any studio that handles mass duplication. As a desperate solution, I want to purchase 3 DVD_RW internal recorders and use a PC to create 3-bay duplicator to reduce the total time for duplication. Is that possible? how I can I configure such a PC and what software can I use?. Or is there a better solution to getting duplication faster in the absence of a standalone duplication machine?

[url][/url][url][/url]

Participant

Thanks alot for the help, I have erected 2 duplicators and hope to finish by the middle of this month.

Participant

I have also been thinking of adding 2-3 more DVD burners to my PC. Anyone know if Encore will take advantage of multiple recorders? (I’m sure I could find out through Adobe but their site is not as user friendly as just asking you guys).

Participant

I usually just use Encore. So Nero can utilize multiple Drives?

Participant

I think I will have to do that. I’ve been doing promo videos and have been hired to duplicate them (at about $1 profit each) and will probably continue duplicating them as long as the clients keep giving them away (not to mention my own promo videos). It’s worth the money for me right now but would be much easier to have 3 or 4 burners to handle hundreds of discs at a time. I also will need to get another 1 or 2 epson r220s like the one I got after you raved about yours! (the 220 replaced the 200). I love it! And the ink at Sams Club is nice and cheap (plus separate carts. too!).

Participant

Visit the Nero Site http://www.nero.com
      You can purchase a version that will do up to 7 recorders or if you have they $ 32 recorders.
      I haven’t seen anything about the recorders having to be the same make model as Hank advises. This may be a trap that some of us could fall in to

Inactive

If you have the demand, seriously consider a stand-alone multibay burner. My 7 bay has been a life saver. If you get one, the built in hard drive is nice. I run all by copies with a full verify which takes a bit longer but gives you the piece of mind. The days of thrashing the PC are over.

Participant

As KBVP and COOPERVISUAL suggested, if you have no expereince as a system builder, it is better to go for branded standalone duplicators but if you double as an engineer as well, I feel building a PC-based dup tower or a controller-based tower yourself coiuld be a rewarding experience, especially as our needs vary and digital video is fast evolving. What if I want a DVD_RAM multi-duplicator immediately for archiving for instance? For those who are adventourous, Andy McDonough’s article is a great introduction to the subject: Go to

http://www.techbuilder.org/recipes/160700335

Inactive

If you have the knowledge base, time, and money, this is a great project. After 20 years in Navy electronics and R&D work, I have a lot of respect for a unit that works right out of the box and is cheaper than I could build it. When I looked at a PC with multiple burners, software was the big deal. I was confident my dual pentiums would keep up, buss speed was iffy, and how many drives would it take to start buffer under-runs? The total cost wasn’t too bad as long as I didn’t have to buy 3 or 4 programs before I was satisfied. Scratch building the stand-alone multi-bay burner was much more expensive than buying one.
      The clencher was when one of my clients ordered 300 DVDs. I ordered the 7 bay burner. That one order payed for the unit.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best microphone for YouTube β€” 2021

One of the most common mistakes beginning video producers make is to overlook audio. Little do these beginners know that audiences are quicker to stop watching a video because of lousy sound quality than they are for poor video. Sound...
homicide-bootstrap