Duplicated DVDs – same players – some work, some don’t

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Duplicated DVDs – same players – some work, some don’t

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am using a stand alone TEAC duplicator. The disks are being played back on a portable DVD player (Astar 7" Top Loading player PD3060).

We have sent out over 200 DVDs, some play just fine, others don’t.

I am burning from an image, not a DVD ROM.

I have the same player at my desk; all disks have been tested before going out.

I am using a TAIYO YUDEN DVD-R8X Silver shiny media.

Am printing with a thermal TEAC P-11 printer on the DVDs.

Could this be a media problem?

What is the difference in +R and -R media?

The other issue I’m affraid of is, if these DVDs are being intermitant on the same players; how will they perform on "Customer" stand alone home DVD players?

Any input greatly appreciated.

MF

Inactive

Furball:

This kind of a problem gets posted a lot here. The problem is that there are so many variables involved. In your case you do have a control in place in that you are using the same burner system, burning from the same image file using the same software and you’re using the same media type. The thing that you can’t control is what other people are playing these disks on. Not every DVD player is the same. Some of them use cheap laser components and might not be able to read home laser burned disks. Older players especially have problems. These same players will probably read pressed disks OK but those disks are made using a totally different technology.

You can help yourself in getting a better success rate if you stick with DVD -R type disks and you slow the burn speed down. I know this will take longer but using a slower burning -R disk seems to be friendlier to more DVD players then +R’s are.

RAM

Inactive

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, I am using a stand alone burner with it’s own operating system, I don’t think there is a way to select a slower write speed.

Also, 90% of these DVDs will be played on the same model of portable DVD players, the others will be played on various potential clients’ players.

MF

Inactive

Yes, they were all the same model player, with the exception of the first test group. Pretty cool little players; they support many different formats:
      DVD Video, CD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVCD, SVCD, VCD, CD-DA, CD-R/RW, MP3, Kodak Picture CD

http://www.astarelectronics.com/page/products/pe/products-pe-pd3060.htm

MF

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap