dual role video

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

using a camcorder how to make a video that shows one character in a dual role in the same frame

Participant

If all you have is a camcorder… good luck πŸ™

If you could describe the scene you plan on shooting it would help a lot. Dual character roles on film are very shot dependant there is not one universal solution.

Are these character going to physically interact? Are you shooting outside or inside? what editor are you using? I would need to knwo these things to advise you well.

Inactive

krishde Wrote:

using a camcorder how to make a video that shows one character in a dual role in the same frame

If you are talking about the same person in the same shot twice, you can try this.
      First of all, you will need a computer and an NLE program of some kind to do this. If all you have is a typical video camera, you won’t be able to do it because you can’t record over existing footage without wiping out what was previously recorded on tape.

First you would need a sturdy tripod. Mount your camera on it and make absolutely sure that you don’t move it. Also, make sure that you don’t change anything else such as lighting or props on the set either.

Then you would first want to have your talent stand on one side of the frame. This is where it can get tricky because you would have to have boundary areas so that as you shoot the second half, the talent doesn’t cross these boundaries or then people will see a ghost affect… unless that is what you want. It will take well rehearsed timing on the talent’s part to pull this off. You do this for both talent shots. Don’t rewind the tape. Just film the first half and the the second half without moving the camera.

Then what you do is you lay both clips on top of each other in your NLE program. Because you didn’t move the camera at all, the props and objects in the scene should line up exactly from both clips giving you the illusion that there is only one camera shot. The only thing that will be different is that on one clip will have your talent on one half of the screen and on the other clip you will have them on the other side. They will look like they were shot at the same time but as I said, timing and the boundaries will be the hard part. You could start fooling around with opacity too if you wanted to make one of the talents look like a ghost. The key is NOT to move the camera at all. This can be kind of fun to do and will turn out pretty real if you’re careful.

Have fun and good luck!

RAM

Inactive

The effect I want to create is the one they show in any movie, where dual roles of the same character talk to each other,etc., for fun

Participant

The important thing to remember is that you HAVE to have static shots if you are only using a camcorder. The simplest thing to do it have at least on static object in the shot, preferably bisecting the two character (more important if you are outside where trees might be blowing in the wind. Indoor shots are really easy.

As an exampe of what you are talking about, what I like to call the double-mint effect I have gather a very talented legoman who acted as a demostration model for us, sorry for the poor lighting, dark room near a computer moniter:

First shot

Second Shot

Third Shot, combine the two, easy to do with static non moving backgrounds.

Anything more complex than this and you need a greenscreen, or a lot of time to perfect things.

Another fun thing to mess with is forced perspective Using a deep depth of field you cna keep two things in foucs and make it appear as if one is much larger than the other. To demostrate I gather more lego men, with better lighting.

http://www.tyndanproductions.com/offtopic/fp1.bmp
      http://www.tyndanproductions.com/offtopic/fp2.bmp
      http://www.tyndanproductions.com/offtopic/fp3.bmp
      http://www.tyndanproductions.com/offtopic/fp4.bmp

Participant

Because my above advice is not good X-D

Inactive

Actually, what Hank is talking about is a possibility but you can control that very easily with the opacity settings. I’ve done this twice and it turned out very well. Another thing I have done is I took a static shot of a particular set and then filmed some footage. Then when people show up or appeared, you run your camera again. You can’t move the camera at all! Then in post you can over lay the two clips and by using the opacity of the top clip, you can key frame it so that it looks like the people are appearing in your scene out of this air. It’s kind of cool looking.

One thing I have done at a wedding was I had the bride slowly turn around a few times while she was still in her jeans pretending like she was holding her flowers. You have to try to get her to remember her body positions somewhat. Without moving my camera she then got ready and then stood right where she was previously standing. I then had her turn around again only now she had her wedding dress on and she was holding her flowers. When it came to post time, I had to arrange the clips first off by location position on the screen and then get the timing of her turning to match. It takes a while but after a lot of tweaking with scaling, frame moving and opacities, I had it where as she was turning in her jeans, her dress slowly faded on her as I fader her jean out. 😯 That doesnt sound right does it? X-D Anyway it turned out really neat! I get a lot of, How did your do that?" stuff all the time along with plenty of compliments. Mind you though that it doesn’t come out dead nuts perfect but you can get surprising close and the illusion does seem real. The first time I did this it took me a couple of hours. The last time I did it, it only took me about 1/2 hour or so.

RAM

Inactive

LOL! X-D

Yeah! I guess I am kind of living on the edge!

RAM

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter β€” 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap