DSLR or used Prosumer for personal use

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Ive been shooting family videos and short commercials for
      campaign ads for the last number of years using a series of Panasonic 3CCD
      camcorders. Currently I am using an old GS500, but have been recently
      contemplating an upgrade; mainly for the HD capability and to add the ability
      to do 24p as well. All my editing is done in Sony Vegas Pro 9 on a fairly
      robust Quad core PC.

Unfortunately there arent a lot of options out there in the
      consumer market, plus I like having the flexibility of a more prosumer model.
      Up until this past weekend I had been considering getting a used Panasonic AVCCAM,
      a JVC HM100 or Sony FX7, or similar; however my brother-in-law recently having
      gotten a Panasonic GH1 DSLR with the hacks, has me thinking that might be a route to consider.

My question; all things being equal and that for me is price
      dependent (under $1800), would I do better staying the course and finding a
      used or second-hand prosumer camcorder with 24p capability as I had planned, or
      are the DSLR a viable option.

My concern with the DSLR is the drastic change in
      form-factor, for me at least going from a camcorder to a SLR style camera. While I have commented to my wife on more than one occasion I
      would love someday get a high resolution DSLR for the occasional photo. Since
      my primary role is family video, etc, I worry that I would I find myself
      missing the easy point and record form of the camcorders when traveling? I have
      gathered from other post and things I have read that the DSLRs arent quite
      ready for prime-time, but how do they compare to slightly older 3CCD
      camcorders, or the consumer level models around $1000?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap