Driving scenes

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 13 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Whats up everyone!
      Im an amature photographer who will be recording a music video for a local Memphis, Tennessee rap artist with a crew of 3 other people. In total we will have two XL2s, softboxes, scrims, other misc. lights, and access to a van, pickup, and railbed truck. We do not have any steady cams or any mounts besides 2 of your basic tripods.

My question is, for part of the video it calls for shooting driving on an interstate. I have freehanded my XL2 going about 40 out of a jeep with no doors, but for this i am considering using a truck with a liftgate, lowering the gate, putting on my climbing harness and chest harness and then strapping in to the bumper (while going around 60).

Are there any other ways to go about doing this without buying a bunch of new equipment (Booms, other crap)? I really would rather freehand if at all possible.

Also all of these shots are stuff like rim shots and such, I cant really do it from a camera mounted on the car and I cant do it out of a window.

Participant

but for this i am considering using a truck with a liftgate, lowering the gate, putting on my climbing harness and chest harness and then strapping in to the bumper (while going around 60).

Is that legal?

Also all of these shots are stuff like rim shots and such, I cant really do it from a camera mounted on the car and I cant do it out of a window.

If you don’t want to purchase additional equipment, you could get in the back of the pickup and try shooting there. If you wanted low shots, and felt really daring/stupid you could put the camera on the tripod, and hold the tripod upside down over the side to get your low shot…but I don’t recommend it, especially with such an expensive camera as the XL2.

But I wouldn’t do it out of a truck, I’d do it out of the pickup if possible.[/quote]

Inactive

Well don’t you have to have a permit to begin with to film? I figured whatever, if we’re going to break the law lets go all out. Itd also make a great shot with some cops in it LOL

Participant

Would it be possible to shoot out the window of another car? That might be a little safer holding the camera out of one of the windows of a second car.

Of course, I’d recomend looking for local videographers and seeing if you can rent some sort of outside car mount from them?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Professional Fixed-Lens Camcorder Buyer’s Guide

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2020

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap