Down converting from HDMI to DV-AVI

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My trusty Sony CCD-TRV65 Hi8 camcorder just died and I have decided to move into the full digital world. I have been reading up on the Sony NEX-VG10 camcorder and am very impressed by what it can do. Before I decide to purchase it I must know if I will be able to edit the video it creats while still using my old desktop NLE system. I know that my system could never edit the AVCHD files directly because of its single core processor on a Adobe Premiere Pro platform. However, I believe that I may have a work around for the time being until I can afford updating the computer as well.

Currently, I have been using a Canopus ADVC-110 converter to digitize the footage that my TRV65 produced. It worked very well and I am not anxious to replace it. Instead, I was thinking about purchasing a down converter like an Atlona AT-HD 530 whichinputs AVCHD files and outputs them as S-video. If I then connect the S-video output from that device through my Canopus, would the resultant DV-AVI file be of an aceptable quality for editting through Premiere Pro? It seems to me that the quality should be very good.

Logically, for a minimal additional investment on my part, this seems like it should work. I need to know if this will be possible before making the commitment to spend a lot of money on a camera like the AG10. I would appreciate any comments on this regard from those of you that understand the high-def world of editting better than I do. Thank you.

Participant

While I’ve never attempted such a thing and don’t know anyone that has, I couldn’t tell you what you would get forquality with that. However, you would think any AVCHD camera would work for testing it as long as it had the HDMI port. Possibly you could rent one for a day to try or find someone close to you with a camera.

I would be interested in the results you get with it. I have quite a few friends that are bringing me footage because they don’t want to spend the money for updating their computers and have me doing the down convert for them in PP. Amazing how many friends a guy canhave at times when they need something.

Participant

Thank you for the sentiment. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a camera with an HDMI output. Ultimately, I may have to take a leap of faith and purchase the VG10 and test my theory. At the very least I will end up with a great camcorderthat willallow me to experiment with other editting options. There are many ways to skin a cat!

Participant

“Instead, I was thinking about purchasing a down converter like an Atlona AT-HD 530 whichinputs AVCHD files and outputs them as S-video. If I then connect the S-video output from that device through my Canopus, would the resultant DV-AVI file be of an aceptable quality for editting through Premiere Pro?”

I think what you mean is, “Atlona AT-HD530 which inputs an HDMI SIGNAL.” Not trying to be picky, but it’s a big difference. Your Canopus device does not output a DV-AVI file either, but rather an SD SIGNAL, which Premiere turns into a DV-AVI file.

In theory, what you want to do should work, although, I don’t think it’s necessary. I would buy the Sony VG10, download MPEG Streamclip, which is free for both Mac and PC, and see if you can convert your AVCHD files to workable file for your current computer. You may even be able to convert your AVCHD files to a more processor-friendly file and still work in HD.

Participant

Thanks for the correction and alternative conversion suggestion Rob. I will give that a try. The price is certainly right.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap