DONE!!!!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am typing this message on my new blazing fast Pentium Dual Cored, Antec Sonata II cased, 2gig corsair memory powered, Western Digital 16mb buffered 250 gig SATA hard drived, Pioneer DVR100 burnered, nvidia Geforce 6600 dual video out machine completely assembled and configured by me with the help of you guys!!!
      Thanks again for all your help. It really wasn’t bad at all. The heat sink set me back about 3 hours because the computer would shut down about 30 sec. after booting up. It took me that long to figure out the problem. But that was the only error I made during the whole assembly. All told I think it took me about 6 hours of labor from when i first opened the mobo box to updating my last driver. I feel a great sense of accomplishment! And WOW did I learn ALOT about computers since I took on this project. Turns out the BIOS was easy. It’s when you have this box sitting in front of you with wires coming out of it from everywhere like spaghetti. That was the only part that made me think what did I get myself into? But it was kinda like putting a puzzle together. And I had a lot of fun doing it. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A PRE-BUILT COMPUTER EVER AGAIN!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Thanks again for everyone’s help and in a couple of weeks I should be getting 2 more 250GB hard drives that I am going to put in using a RAID 0 setup. So be on the lookout more questions are coming!! Thanks again!

Participant

Sweet! Glad you had fun! And I bet you saved a ton of money too! I am getting ready to add a RAID too! Here’s a good deal on a 250GB SATA HD:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=119638&sourceid=qIqiQ96WH1FhAluzig3i&siteid=0039564170&CMP=AFC-AFFIL&sku=TS

Not that you’re ready yet but just to show how cheap they are now.

I usually use newegg.com but tiger direct is good too (newegg has better prices).

Inactive

dzgear,

Isn’t that a GREAT feeling? πŸ˜€ We told you that you could do it. Now that you created life (lol) don’t you find it amazing that by tossing all that junk in a box that it can actually do what it does?

Anyway I bet you’ll be making more down the road. It just happens!

GOOD JOB!

RAM

Participant

Yeah it does. I had so much fun doing my research, shopping around for the parts, and the anticipation of putting it together. As a matter of fact, now that I am done, I am kind of going through a mild depression now that I don’t have anything to look forward to as far as building my computer. πŸ™ Kinda weird huh? Guess I’ll just have to go build another!

Participant

Congrats!!!

Welcome to the club my friend. It’s always a great feeling to build your PC and then to get it and running.

Inactive

dzgear Wrote:

As a matter of fact, now that I am done, I am kind of going through a mild depression now that I don’t have anything to look forward to as far as building my computer. πŸ™ Kinda weird huh? Guess I’ll just have to go build another!

Post-bulidum depression… happens to all of us. Now be sure to take a picture with your cell phone so you can proudly show off your new baby. No, I’m not kidding.

πŸ™‚

Nicely done!

Participant

BTS Wrote:

Post-bulidum depression… happens to all of us. Now be sure to take a picture with your cell phone so you can proudly show off your new baby. No, I’m not kidding.

πŸ™‚

Nicely done!

Lol X-D

Inactive

So where’s the pic? Where’s the pic?

Participant

It’s coming. I found out that the CPU gets really hot when you work it. I ordered a Zalman heatsinkfrom Newegg.com to cool things down. Once I get that in then I’ll post a pic.

Inactive

dzgear,

I think I posted a note to you already regarding the heatsink. That is really the only area where you have to be very careful. 99% of first time builders usually have trouble with this. If you don’t do it right you can cook a CPU real fast. Creating a air tight seal between the sink and CPU is CRUCIAL!

Now don’t be alarmed if the temp shoots way up when you’re rendering something. That’s normal. Mine will shoot up 15-20 degrees sometimes. Rendering video is probably the hardest thing on a CPU.

If heat is still an issue, make sure you have plenty of case fans and that they’re set up right. Keeping excess heat out of your box will help keep your PC cool.

Good luck my man!

RAM

Participant

Oh yeah I was careful. After doing some more research, I found out the stock heatsink for the Intel Pentium D dual cores is useless. It idles at around 50c and when I stressed it the processor got up to 63c. And the heatsink was installed correctly. So to be safe rather than sorry I shut down the computer and am using my old one till I get the new heatsink and an additional chassis fan. Thanks again for the help and advice.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best microphone for YouTube β€” 2021

One of the most common mistakes beginning video producers make is to overlook audio. Little do these beginners know that audiences are quicker to stop watching a video because of lousy sound quality than they are for poor video. Sound...
homicide-bootstrap