Does Premiere really need so much RAM?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Does Premiere really need so much RAM?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Well, does it? This may be a dumb question now i think about it…

Today was the day I was gonna teach myself the last major NLE I don’t know, so I downloaded the free trial for Premiere Pro CS3 from adobe’s website and when i tried to install, it says I need at least 1 GB of RAM.

Seriously?

I’m using my trusty Dell laptop running good ol’ Windows XP. I apparently have only 256 MB of RAM. Studying up on this, it seems you install RAM by actually getting hardware and putting this inside your computer.

Does premiere really need this much RAM? Anyone else have trouble with this either with the free trial or buying premiere pro? Do you need even more RAM than that for actually doing projects? Any tips welcome. Thanks!

Participant

Hi Daniel,

I have been able to install and run CS3 with lengthy projects at 894& 512Mb RAM with minimal crashes…if any. I haven’t tried CS3 at 256Mb, butI’m stillconfident thatyou’d be able to installand complete a modest project… but withsome crashes ofcourse.

If you’re familiar with PP 2.0, you may have noticed that premiere is quite efficient when recovering “unsaved” crashed projects…even if it can’t recover the project, you should still have plenty of auto saved projects to choose from.If your project keeps crashing, (especially after using a recovered project) delete the rendered files (preview files) and the media cache files, than copy the contents of all the timline sequences and paste them intonew timeline sequences, than delete the old ones…but I don’t think you’ll have to go through all that as long as you keep the project light and simple.

Let us know how it works…I remember premiere pro 1.0workinggood at 128Mb RAM with a 500Mhz Processor…it was slow, but we didn’t know any better…I’m curious to see howCS3’s performance in “harsh conditions” compares to it’s predecessor’s.

Best Regards

Inactive

I’m running CS3 and can usually get by with 2 GB, but my next computer will definitely have 4GB.

I’d definitely add more memory if you want to run CS3.

Also close down all non-essential applications – I use Autoruns for this.

Participant

Good Grief!!!!!

I can’t believe you fellas would choose to work like that!

Computers are cheap, and ram is dirt cheap!

It’s like listening to to guys debate whether it’s safe to drive around a car that only has brakes on one wheel. (thank goodness you’re only crashing computers). The rest of the world has abs, and only debate whether to get 4 wheel discs as an option.

Get some ram! 2 gigs at least….(one if you ditch windoze and do a linux install).

Participant

He..he..he….

Participant

omg, you’re complaining about 1GB of RAM? That’s not expensive. I have 5GB and it only cost me less than $400. It’s Mac certified too.

Do yourself a favor and load up on RAM.

Participant

I’m simply trying to answer dan’s question and give him a heads up on working with the equipment he has available to him. These forums are meant to help people (typically newbies) with their questions and problems, not to constantly criticize and use it as a platform to boast your own ego and express how great you are.

BTW…I CHOOSE to work on 3 different different MAC’s all running atleast 8 Gb RAM, all of which are loaded with FCPStudio, Adobe MasterCollection and all the other goodies except AVID (though I do run AVID on a PCfrom time to time when a client requests it)…Unfortunately many people that arenew to the industry don’t have a dime, nor the luxury of that CHOICE.

The fact is…you can create stunning HD projects on an emachine with a 1.8 GHz Sempron Processor running at 512 Mb RAM…..and if thats all you got, It’s a GREAT thing…

Peace

Participant

“These forums are meant to help people (typically newbies) with their questions and problems, not to constantly criticize and use it as a platform to boast your own ego and express how great you are.”

I’m using myself as an example to make the point that RAM is inexpensive and he should invest in more RAM anyway. I’m not boasting my own ego nor do I think I’m “great.”

Participant

Robgrauert, I think maybe some took a lighthearted jest, a little too seriously.

Surely, with 90% of human communication being non verbal, and typing leaves out tone of voice, facial expressions, and body language…the bulk of the misunderstanding is on me, and my remarks. And on re-reading I can understand.

Lighten up! It was meant to be funny. There was good advice given.

256 megs of ram isn’t even enough to run xp properly, never mind xp + a video editing suite.

and if that’s all you got, don’t feel bad, just work with what you got, but the answer is still: get more ram. when you get enough clients, you’ll find it impossible to keep up with th workload unless you get a better computer and more ram.

Participant

Apart from all that, you’re not really doing your computer any favours by overloading it, working with video takes up a lot of CPU power and laptops are really not ideal for that sort of work.

Participant

My bad….

cheers! πŸ˜‰

Participant

LOL. This was a fun post.

As a followup, I never did end up using Premiere CS3, and I still only have 256MB ofRAM on my little Windows XP laptop. I use free internet software now. HA!

Participant

>LOL. This was a fun post.

>As a followup, I never did end up using Premiere CS3, and I still only have 256MB ofRAM on my little Windows XP laptop. I use free >internet software now. HA!

Troll…

hehe

Participant

Ohh…and in regards to 256MB RAM…..I hope you like grey hair, if any at all.; )

Participant

Actually if you look into it, Linux (at least some versions)only needs a tiny amount of RAM to work (I read 28 MB ina “Linux for Dummies”book).

With all the great Video (ie. Cinelerra) and other media software for Linux (which is all or mostly free by the way), you could use a WAY OLD computer and be at a better advantage than someone who has a “real” Mac or Windows with Final Cut or Premiere, simply because of all the money you save.

Pixar and some other Hollywood places have already figured this out, but they wouldn’t have told YOU! LOL

Participant

>Actually if you look into it, Linux (at least some versions)only needs a tiny amount of RAM to work (I read 28 MB ina “Linux for Dummies”book).

Well, if you refer back to your original post, you didn’t ask about Linux, now did you? ; )

>With all the great Video (ie. Cinelerra) and other media software for Linux (which is all or mostly free by the way), you could use a WAY OLD computer and be at a better advantage than someone who has a “real” Mac or Windows with Final Cut or Premiere, simply because of all the money you save.

Codswallop!

>Pixar and some other Hollywood places have already figured this out, but they wouldn’t have told YOU! LOL

LOL….Name one Hollywood Studio That uses an old Linux computer with 28MB of RAM….I never seen one while I was actually working in Hollywood. (what a dump btw)

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available β€” 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap